I got a 30 Gallon Terrarium

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I recently got the Thrive Tropical Reptile Terrarium Essentials Kit - 30 Gallon for a good price.

Pretty big for a tarantula I suppose but this is what I want to do:

I want to create a full sort of "tree" in the corner or along half of it so the tarantula could go inside with lots of room. I would like to do this with my a.avic since they are very arboreal. (Pokies and some of my other arboreal ones seem to like to be near the ground still with a bit of a dirt curtain going up)

I am not planning on moving until she is an adult so I have a bit of time still.

I would like to do a few branches and to have it done up with plants and springtails+drainage layer.

I have had some success in a build for my pokie and I made up one for a frog that is a similar size as this terrarium

I am thinking of carving up some foam to the shape I want and attaching some bark to the outside and lining the other side with either cocoa fibre (I have done something similar on asmaller build) or maybe that sheet of coca fiber? (I have not used that before but since this is a larger build it might be easier)

For plants I do have a nerve plant I was thinking of using. Maybe a pothos. I like pothos not just because the easy maintenance but also how it can grow viney. Normally it is a bit too big for my other terrariums.

My room light it actually a plant one. since I tend to have a few plants/terrariums around.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I recently got the Thrive Tropical Reptile Terrarium Essentials Kit - 30 Gallon for a good price.

I want to create a full sort of "tree" in the corner or along half of it so the tarantula could go inside with lots of room. I would like to do this with my a.avic since they are very arboreal. (Pokies and some of my other arboreal ones seem to like to be near the ground still with a bit of a dirt curtain going up)

I am not planning on moving until she is an adult so I have a bit of time still.

I would like to do a few branches and to have it done up with plants and springtails+drainage layer.

I have had some success in a build for my pokie and I made up one for a frog that is a similar size as this terrarium

I am thinking of carving up some foam to the shape I want and attaching some bark to the outside and lining the other side with either cocoa fibre (I have done something similar on asmaller build) or maybe that sheet of coca fiber? (I have not used that before but since this is a larger build it might be easier)

For plants I do have a nerve plant I was thinking of using. Maybe a pothos. I like pothos not just because the easy maintenance but also how it can grow viney. Normally it is a bit too big for my other terrariums.

My room light it actually a plant one. since I tend to have a few plants/terrariums around.
You say the room light is a plant one. Generally those are high UV emitting ones for vegetative growth. Would love to see the setup. That's actually a pretty badass build idea. I keep UV out of range for mine. Not sure how smart they are. Even my toads are in danger of just staring into a UV light and going blind. Kindof like a president staring directly into a solar eclipse. They aren't too smart.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
30g for an Avic avic seems a bit overkill to me. I don't know what your experience level is, but I think you could make an amazing habitat for a 0.1 Poecilotheria rufilata with that enclosure. I'm planning on converting a 29g to a vert tank for my big girl myself.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
30g for an Avic avic seems a bit overkill to me. I don't know what your experience level is, but I think you could make an amazing habitat for a 0.1 Poecilotheria rufilata with that enclosure. I'm planning on converting a 29g to a vert tank for my big girl myself.
I thought they meant a vert tank. I'm thinking of converting a 70g to front opening doors. The modularity of glass tanks is the bees elbows.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I thought they meant a vert tank. I'm thinking of converting a 70g to front opening doors. The modularity of glass tanks is the bees elbows.
Yep, it can be a bit of work sometimes, but your only limit is your creativity. When I built my prototype 10g vert, I actually knocked the bottom glass out (back glass when vertical) and replaced it with acrylic so I could put vents in for cross ventilation.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Yep, it can be a bit of work sometimes, but your only limit is your creativity. When I built my prototype 10g vert, I actually knocked the bottom glass out (back glass when vertical) and replaced it with acrylic so I could put vents in for cross ventilation.
Where did you get the acrylic from?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Local big box store, fill in the blank: Highs and L____s lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Do whatever you want, 30 gal is large, it may not eat well, and die.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
You say the room light is a plant one. Generally those are high UV emitting ones for vegetative growth. Would love to see the setup. That's actually a pretty badass build idea. I keep UV out of range for mine. Not sure how smart they are. Even my toads are in danger of just staring into a UV light and going blind. Kindof like a president staring directly into a solar eclipse. They aren't too smart.
There is a bit of a shade over part of it.

Ahhhh, I want a rufilata so bad...I have an ornata coming soon.

As for ventilation, my dad is going to drill the glass. (I finally convinced him my hobby is valid.) He is one of those handymen with a million tools. (he uses a lot for his job too)

This is future planning, might be in a year when I do this one. I might do a "practice" one by doing a similar thing with a 12x12" one.

I am not sure which of my arboreals I would end up housing in it. Many of them are too small for me to ID yet.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
There is a bit of a shade over part of it.

Ahhhh, I want a rufilata so bad...I have an ornata coming soon.

As for ventilation, my dad is going to drill the glass. (I finally convinced him my hobby is valid.) He is one of those handymen with a million tools. (he uses a lot for his job too)

This is future planning, might be in a year when I do this one. I might do a "practice" one by doing a similar thing with a 12x12" one.

I am not sure which of my arboreals I would end up housing in it. Many of them are too small for me to ID yet.
WAIT. Tell him you want to learn drilling glass. Its a valid skill to know in this hobby. Let alone using a drill and silicone. What he is doing is like $30k worth of knowledge for free. Don't you dare let it go to waste.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You know the skill my father taught me? How to evade child support payments. I don't have kids. So he taught me F-All...
Edit: if you don't take advantage the gift that is at your feet then go to a garbage neighborhood near you and let us know how you feel.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
WAIT. Tell him you want to learn drilling glass. Its a valid skill to know in this hobby. Let alone using a drill and silicone. What he is doing is like $30k worth of knowledge for free. Don't you dare let it go to waste.
There is a lot of things he never taught me....how to tie a tie...how to mow a lawn...soldering. Thankfully there is YouTube.

He did show me how to flare a copper pipe once.

He did get education to become a plumber and a lot of other handy-man related skills. He is not interested in passing down knowledge as much as he is the type to throw us in the pool and learn to swim or drown. "Figure it out for yourself"