I found a tame Nile monitor

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
So this Pet store has a healthy tame ba by Nile monitor. I know all about thema nd their housing and have a lot of room. Is it worth it? Also the tarantulas at the store aren't the species I am into

Drune

Arachnopeon
That depends on a lot of things. Are you sure you're going to be able to handle a 6ft, up to 80lb monitor in just 3 years or less on your own? They attain much of their size in year one and two. Can you provide an enclosure the size of a small room? To give it enough substrate to burrow in and also provide a large water feature since Nile's are semi-aquatic? I've kept Bosc Monitors (Savannahs) for years now and even they can be challenging to care for properly. To give the proper amount of space and food when kept as they need to be. Do you have a steady, well-paying job to care for it? Niles will take 5-8 pound rabbits when fully grown, which cost about 15-20 bucks apiece and then ask for more and that's not just once a week. You also have to remember just because it seems tame doesn't mean it is and that goes doubly for Niles and Ornates. Normally, if a baby monitor acts tame there's something wrong with it. Either its temps aren't high enough, it isn't getting good nutrition, or its so stressed out it just sits and waits for the threat to eat it. And make no mistake, any small monitor will see something the size of a human as a threat. And lastly, don't take this the wrong way but if you have to ask others if its worth it you probably aren't ready. Try a smaller species first like a Savannah or Ackie, even Timors or a mangrove, maybe a peachthroat. If you really want good quality look up a guy by the name of Frank Retes. He runs Goanna Ranch in Arizona and specializes in breeding many different species of monitor.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
That depends on a lot of things. Are you sure you're going to be able to handle a 6ft, up to 80lb monitor in just 3 years or less on your own? They attain much of their size in year one and two. Can you provide an enclosure the size of a small room? To give it enough substrate to burrow in and also provide a large water feature since Nile's are semi-aquatic? I've kept Bosc Monitors (Savannahs) for years now and even they can be challenging to care for properly. To give the proper amount of space and food when kept as they need to be. Do you have a steady, well-paying job to care for it? Niles will take 5-8 pound rabbits when fully grown, which cost about 15-20 bucks apiece and then ask for more and that's not just once a week. You also have to remember just because it seems tame doesn't mean it is and that goes doubly for Niles and Ornates. Normally, if a baby monitor acts tame there's something wrong with it. Either its temps aren't high enough, it isn't getting good nutrition, or its so stressed out it just sits and waits for the threat to eat it. And make no mistake, any small monitor will see something the size of a human as a threat. And lastly, don't take this the wrong way but if you have to ask others if its worth it you probably aren't ready. Try a smaller species first like a Savannah or Ackie, even Timors or a mangrove, maybe a peachthroat. If you really want good quality look up a guy by the name of Frank Retes. He runs Goanna Ranch in Arizona and specializes in breeding many different species of monitor.

^100% agree with everything stated here.

Also, would also like yo suggest speaking to Frank Retes. My buddy purchased a monitor from him some years ago and I've gotten to meet him a few times, he's a great guy and has some beautiful specimens that he raises and breeds.

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
I am looking for a store that sells a peachthroat now they seem like a good monitor