I found a spider, what is it?

SilverNitrate

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that every night this huge spider builds a web over my garage door, in the morning it's gone. Tonight I tried to take some pictures of it but they didn't turn out too well because it's night and I didn't want to walk through the web to turn on the outside lights. It also looked angry and stopped eating after the third picture. It's about 2-2.5 inches around. Anyway it's creepy and I was wondering if it was anything cool.

It's a little yellower than the pictures show and it has dark bands and fuzzy things on it's legs. It's web is huge, its as wide as the door way and the major part of it goes about 2.5 feet down. It's really orderly. I don't know if that helps but I figured I'd put it there. Also I live in Minnesota.

Please tell me what this thing is and if I should be afraid of it.

Last edited:

mana-b

Arachnopeon
Hey!

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it could be an Araneus diadematus, which is mostly found in Middle Europe. We have many of these cute spiders in front of our windows, and they are harmless, because their teeth can't get trough our skin.
Greetings

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks sorta Araneus sp. to me, but the pics are very blurry. Nice find though.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Hey!

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it could be an Araneus diadematus, which is mostly found in Middle Europe. We have many of these cute spiders in front of our windows, and they are harmless, because their teeth can't get trough our skin.
Greetings

Nadine
Yes that is what it looks like but AD has a cross shaped white pattern on the abdomen. Could be a color varient, and yes we have them here in the good ol U S of A. I see plenty every late summer and fall