I found a dead bug...

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
...can you tell me what it is?

I'm guessing some sort of beetle, but I have no idea what kind.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats a June bug.

We have one in the lab just like that one that was collected around here somewhere.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One of the antennae of ours broke off. How much you want for that guy? :D

Edit: The common name is the ten-lined june beetle. Lori stole my guide from me, so we know that it's Polyphylla decimlineata, Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae.

That's latin for ten-lined. {D Horray for taxonomy making sense for once!

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! I found it on the sidewalk while on lunch and brought it back to show my co-workers...they were not amused. What are the little scoop things in the front for? (sorry if that's a dumb question....I don't know anything about most 6 legged creatures)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am thinking its a polyphylla decemlineata
i counted ten lines

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are cool, and they hiss. I caught several of them last month at night around some street lights. They were there in the hundreds.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! That's beautiful. The june bugs we have around here are all brown.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
one night i caught a couple of these and put one on each shoulder. they totally stayed with me for about 3 hours or something... i was a lan store and i was inside playing video games and messing around and going outside and smoking cigs and they stayed with me for ever.

i would lean towards them and talk and they would hiss back (i'm assuming my co2 was disturbing them or something)

very neat little bugs. if they are like the other june beetles they have a multiyear life cycle. very interesting.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
One of the antennae of ours broke off. How much you want for that guy? :D

Edit: The common name is the ten-lined june beetle. Lori stole my guide from me, so we know that it's Polyphylla decimlineata, Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae.

That's latin for ten-lined. {D Horray for taxonomy making sense for once!
you actually LIKE those things?! hahaha, we get em in the seemingly hundreds... they are REALLY fun to hit with a tennis racquet...;P
i could send you some if you really wanted them... :D

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
June bugs rock, I found a monster on the pay phone at the 7-11 last summer. :D Definitely some of the biggest bugs I've ever found locally.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Live ones would be AWESOME!! I have no idea how I'd keep them, but they'd be fun to encounter. I'm jealous of the OP -- I work nearby where she found this one and I've never found one myself. The one Lori mentioned earlier is one I had to pin for work. I'd like a pinned one for our personal collection.

henry

Arachnopeon
Found one in our hallway tonight (Portland, OR), minus the forward scoop-like appendages. Is this a form of sexual dimorphism, or did our cat get to the poor guy first? :8o

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your cat got the poor guy first. As I said earlier,

Those are the antennae -- scarab beetles have lamellate antenna, so each segment is a flat thingy. It looks really cool when they fan them out.
This picture shows what it looks like when they fan them out (at least, in a pinned specimen). :)

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
June Bugs ??? !!

Those are really cool! I wish I had a handful of them. Most beetles around here are some shade of brown... Mailing any out ??:? {D