I found a bunch of Parabuthus transvaalicus under this piece of slate...

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
wow thats awesome, i didnt relize they where communal, does that go for parabuthus species in general or just transvaalicus?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I believe quite a few species can be kept communally. Given adequate hides, large enclosure and plenty of prey can avoid cannibalism.
More species are being kept communally nowadays than say 20 years ago. Although, personally, I wouldn't attempt a mixed species communal setup.
@gromgrom, cool to see so many huddled together and plump to boot.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Would you guys say its a rule of thumb to only keep them communal once they are adults, or is there something else to it?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I would assume so.... they have FAR more knowledge than I do. But I think the biggest risk is because of molts and adults normally eat less often then younger instars

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep they can be quite tolerant of each other ... In fact I believe Grom has even tried keeping a P trans with a P liosoma/Maximus before ;)
Yeah I tried to pair them for funsies, doesnt work out. They just get defensive and say "hey buddy, get away from me". Very different from social scorpions of the same species who will just fight over territory. Knowing the difference in body language is important.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice job! I still have the four I bought from you separated. They are adult now! Do you think they can live communally now? Congratulations again!
Id say so! Introduce them all at once and watch for fights. Ensure there are plenty of hides

Reptilesbyrick

Arachnopeon
Id say so! Introduce them all at once and watch for fights. Ensure there are plenty of hides
About how many transvaalicus do keep in your colony and about what size enclosure? I've put a lot of time and food into those you sold me and I would hate to lose them! They have really grown since they came in that straw you sent! Nice animals!