I feel like a parent and i'm worried

yarndilwuck

Arachnopeon
so recently maybe a week or so my little b smithi sling has burrowed a nice little hole... luckily it was on the side of the enclosure and she/he made a little window for me to look in (isn't she so thoughtful) i'm fine with her making a hole n such BUT she/he blocks off the entrance with substrate! so with the entrance blocked off i get really worried and very carefully make a small hole for air but the bugger keeps blocking it again... is this another way of blocking off the entrance for premolt will she/he be ok if i let her/him block it off air wise??? please help me out so i can finally be at ease...

Thanks
-Ryan

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
She will be fine. She knows what she is doing. Substrate is not air tight so she is getting air. Mine do this all the time. I never bother them. If she needs to come out she will unblock it and come out.

ChloeUk

Arachnopeon
my b.smithi sling has done exactly the same! only had him a few days and his my first.. thought he'd excaped yesterday morning but luckily saw the little borrow and he's blocked off the entrance a few times too, i was worried at first aswell but figured he knows what his doing more then me and left him too it, i'd say if yours is blocking off the entrance and it hasnt collapsed to just let him and leave alone guessing he can still breathe and his not trying to suffercate himself :p,
like you would be interested to know if its pre molt! think mine just fancied making a smaller home in his bigger one tbh
been feeling like a nervous parent my self haha, keep going to check and then worry im fussing too much XD
was going to post something on here myself, so glad mines not the only one!

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
+1 for what Tarantulagirl said.

My slings burrow from time to time and can stay in there from a couple of days to 1.5 months. They usually come out molted, or their substrate was a bit dry and they wanted to retain their moisture.

Either way, your baby is fine :)
Being a T parent requires a lot of patience and waiting around to see what they'll do next :)

webbedone

Arachnobaron
1) Slings will burrow if they want to
2) when they burrow and block off the entrance they use dirt curtains(substrate interlaced with web) so plenty of air gets through
3) most of the time when slings burrow and entomb themselves they are getting ready to molt
4) Tarantulas know that they are doing and will remain inside/ come out when they need too

yarndilwuck

Arachnopeon
thank you all i feel more relieved now... i'll just let her/him do his/her thing... such a relief to know its not trying to kill itself or anything like that.

Thanks again
-Ryan

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Brachypelma vagans went into her burrow a few days after I received her. She didnt come out until almost an entire month later (she had a slight window on the side that I can see barely see her), of course she was bigger and little more fiesty after she molted and just sits now at the top of her burrow, half in . I just made sure I kept the substrate slightly moist and let her do her thing.

yarndilwuck

Arachnopeon
ok so i'm noticing that her/his legs are getting darker so my little t must be in premolt... i can't wait till she/he molts!

yarndilwuck

Arachnopeon
update...

ok so my b. smithi is still in her burrow and she looks basically black... she isn't curled up and still moves and i know her abdomen is supposed to get dark but it looks as if everything is getting that way...legs and all... should i be worried?:wall:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok so my b. smithi is still in her burrow and she looks basically black... she isn't curled up and still moves and i know her abdomen is supposed to get dark but it looks as if everything is getting that way...legs and all... should i be worried?:wall:
Not in my opinion..

Seems to be doing what mine and others B. smithi do (some greater/lesser extent)

My now 2.5-3" female (molted just a fortnight ago) literally would sit in the same position for days if not weeks prior to molting. Only when I would disturb the bookcase I have my T's in would I see any type of reaction and she's done fine now going on 2 years. (from a 1/4" sling to 2.5-3" in 2 years)

All sounds well with the force and just allow that poor Jedi some rest and relax before it's molt as well afterward and things most likely will end up fine! :)

londoneris

Arachnopeon
Singblue

Ive had B smithi but she didnt burrow at all, and then I have got a singapore blue- he made a burrow first thing at night and would not come out other than to hunt at night( I wouldnt know, but the crix were gone). but I was worried about my sling and have changed her enclosure- gave it a hide and less subtrate - so it has made his house from the hide - sealed off the entrance with silk and dirt with only a little entrance- At least I can see she is OK. singapore blue are supposed to be arboreal so I have pprovided her with something to climb on.

sorry if the story is abit to long, I thought it was relevant to you original post ;)

tale care