I feel like a jerk.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, so as some of you may know, my rattie girl has developed a good sized tumor on her side. Her cage has always smelled, no matter how many times I cleaned it. But now, that smell has doubled and Im not sure if its related to the tumor or not.

I thought about moving her into the garage to get rid of the smell. But if I do that I feel like Im a terrible person for putting a sick rat in the garage just because of the smell.

I dont want to do it, but I cant stand the smell. I hate the idea of my poor girl being out in the garage alone and sick.

Any advice?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know what it is, is it a rat?, sounds like it. The truth might be that it's getting old and, along with the tumor, it might not be taken care of like it use to, like an out-cast, not wanting to be touched and paid attention to. If that's a fact, it may not be realized, so the neglect would bring on a bad smell.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She is very well taken care of. I use to hold her daily, then she started getting bitey so I dont hold her as much anymore. She is fed and is given fresh water when needed. I clean her cage when needed. I take care of my pets.

Last edited:

Rick & Brandy

Arachnopeon
Bi-odor!!!!!!!!!

Try some BI-ODOR, you squirt it into the water, I swear by it!! I keep 2 bunnies and 2 rats in my living room and use this on everyone!! I dont think I could keep them in here without it!! I HOPE THAT IT CAN HELP YOU!!
You can also try the new pellet formula, it actually has amonia block right in the food!

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If she smells and is biting, she is suffering and in pain. Please do the right thing and put her to sleep. There are many clinics that will do this for a very small fee. I'm asking you, please, don't let her live his last days alone and suffering in a garage. Let her die peacefully and gently in your hands. It doesn't matter how much you hold her, do the right thing, take her to a vet, and let her go. I know it hurts, but it is the greatest gift you can give her.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If she smells and is biting, she is suffering and in pain. Please do the right thing and put her to sleep. There are many clinics that will do this for a very small fee. I'm asking you, please, don't let her live his last days alone and suffering in a garage. Let her die peacefully and gently in your hands. It doesn't matter how much you hold her, do the right thing, take her to a vet, and let her go. I know it hurts, but it is the greatest gift you can give her.
I didnt move her to the garage. She has been in my bed room for 2 years. It's so cute, whenever she hears me opening a bag of whatever food, she comes running and sticks her nose out of her home.

She has been bitey for a year, but the stronger smell is more recent. I also noticed that one of her eyes sticks out way more than the other one.

So this means she's suffering? I dont want her to suffer.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, she is suffering. She has a tumor that is slowly killing her, her eye ball is out, the smell is more than likely from some time of infection.....no one can tell you what to do, just try to make your decisions based on what is best for your pet, and not yourself.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, I dont want her to suffer. I will call the local vet today:(. I know that rats dont have a long lifespan, but I wish she could be around for longer. When she was still friendly, I would walk around the house with her perched on my shoulder. I would sit down and watch T.V. with her too. Im going to have her put down. This sucks.

Thanks Kathy and everybody else.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a pet rat named Crackers that I loved very much too. They have such wonderful personalities and little quirks that make them so special. Mine also developed a tumor which is sadly so common. J. Huff, it is very sad, but how many rats get to live such wonderful lives full of so much care and love? Not a whole lot. Please keep us posted on what you do, I will be thinking of you.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I called the local vet clinic and they told me that they wont put down anything except dogs and cats. I called another local Animal Hospital but they are closed.

Im going to keep her as comfortable as possible untill I cant find somewhere locally to have her put to sleep.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont you wish that large wild animals had this option ? most of them end up curling in a ball for a few weeks and die naturally. And then someone eats their carcass.

I kinda wish it was like that in captivity, then we dont need to deal with the remorse of mudering them.

sad to think about.

Btw, if you cant find anyone, and really think shes unable to live, as in eat drink, sleep, poop and move around in the cage, you could try pre-killing her yourself. But that might be abit hard on you... I guess its up to you though. Homemade CO2?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She still eats, drinks, and moves around. But like I said, one of her eyes is sticking out pretty far. And her tumor is pretty good sized.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Somebody told me to go buy something at the store and feed it to her so she will "go to sleep".

This seems so cruel to me, feeding her poison. And I dont think I would have the heart. Im going to call the other animal hospital again tomorrow and see if they are open.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Somebody told me to go buy something at the store and feed it to her so she will "go to sleep".

This seems so cruel to me, feeding her poison. And I dont think I would have the heart. Im going to call the other animal hospital again tomorrow and see if they are open.
Yeah that seems cruel. Most vets that deal with small animals (dogs and cats) should be willing to do it. We were a primarily dog, cat, horse, and cow clinic, but euthanized numerous sick, old rats over the years. Typically the dose for a kitten is all that it requires, and much less cruel then just poisoning her, poison makes them ill before dying. It's doesn't just stop their heart like the euthanasia solutions.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea Im going to call the other vet tomorrow if they are open. Untill then, Im going to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Yea Im going to call the other vet tomorrow if they are open. Untill then, Im going to keep her as comfortable as possible.
That's all you can do. It's tough making this decision, and I completely understand what you are going through. Just try to focus on the happy times you had with her, it's tough to do but it helps. It really does sounds like you are making the right choice for her.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If one of the regular vet clinics won't do it, might there be an animal shelter that might have a vet working for them that would be willing to?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If one of the regular vet clinics won't do it, might there be an animal shelter that might have a vet working for them that would be willing to?
I have no clue. Like I said, Im going to get a hold of the animal hosptial tomorrow if they are open. If they wont do it, I dont know what I will do.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well they werent open today either. I doubt they will be open on a sunday either. So monday Im going to give them a call.