i fed my T a toad and it didn't go as well as i had planned

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the toad hopped right over to my T and just sat there as my T raised its arms in its defensive position for about 30 seconds. my T finally bit the toad and it just sat there doing nothing. after that the toad started scooting its butt and buried itself completely in the substrate. i just ended up digging the toad up and chucking it back outside :8o

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, i think your best bet as far as toads are concerned would be to catch the babies that are no larger than an inch. up in wisc. we caught a few and fed some to my cousins T's, pac man frogs, and a few other things he had.

how large is your t btw? and how big is the toad?

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i tried feeding my ts with some toads it accually went prety well

but i have heard of toads with a defence ,they just make them selfs test bad has any one heard of this

and by way those toads remainded me of a bet i made with a friend he said he could chow and swallow a toad i ended up
paying 20 bucks
he is a true psyco .
im just in a sharing mode

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey

Don't toads secrete venom through they're warts on their skin when they feel threaten that's their defense.I'm not sure if all toads do it though well any wyas have a nice day
geo

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Yes toads have a venom sac, I think its a gland.
They do also secrete a toxin through their skin.
Not really good T food anyway.
Try anoles, they are a small green or brown lizard.
My rosie thinks they are tasty:eek:

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the anoles for feeding. We go outside and catch them when ever we want and neither of our neighbors uses pesticides on their lawn. Anoles make for an interesting feeding.
-Johnny

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we don't have any anoles around here, i'd have to pay $4 for one...and i'm trying to justify spending money on my T's by proving to myself that i don't have to spend any money maintaining them :D

i would guess the toad was a little too big, about 3/4ths the size of my T, which i don't think is very aggressive.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
.....and i'm trying to justify spending money on my T's by proving to myself that i don't have to spend any money maintaining them...

:D
Good luck!

If you can start a few colonies of bugs (roaches, crickets etc.)
except for the starting cost, and the occasional addition of
new bugs, you won't have to spend much:D
But to not spend ANY is near impossible;)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know. I'd feel a little weird feeding my T's anything caught in the wild. Of course I live on the outskirts of town where people use pesticides and whatnot so there's a bit of a danger to feeding my T's anything caught in the wild.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by t man{tal}

and by way those toads remainded me of a bet i made with a friend he said he could chow and swallow a toad i ended up
paying 20 bucks
he is a true psyco .
im just in a sharing mode

He did THAT for 20 $

:eek:

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i won't have to spend any money on my T until it is too cold for bugs to live out. i live in the middle of a small city and there are almost always june bugs and moths in the hallway of my apt building when i get home from work.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
i won't have to spend any money on my T until it is too cold for bugs to live out. i live in the middle of a small city and there are almost always june bugs and moths in the hallway of my apt building when i get home from work.
Ewe! I know that sounds funny considering I own Tarantulas but I'd hate haviing insects running around my apartment. I mean it's bad enough that ants crawl in here as well as fleas because I own cats.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well maybe i should be more specific, we live in a three story apt. 12 rooms per building, so there are three floors and three hallways inbetween the two halves of the building. there are lights outside and when it is warm there are usually a bunch of tasty critters running around outside for my T to eat. there are surprisingly few bugs actually in our apt. just a few tiny spiders here and there.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by nemesis6sic6
Don't toads secrete venom through they're warts on their skin when they feel threaten that's their defense.I'm not sure if all toads do it though well any wyas have a nice day
geo
I wouldn't know about that. Every toad I've ever picked up
(while I was living in Texas), has always felt the need to
pee on me. That's bad enough! ;)

Wysi

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
That really sounds quite risky to me. I'm pretty sure most apartments use insecticides periodically to get rid of roaches, termites, ants and other problems. I think it wouldbe safest to go to your local pet store (or order from one of the online feeder dealers) than it is to risk potentially feeding some unknown insecticide to your t.

Wysi

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've never known them to spray for insects here, but one way or the other i'm just not that worried about it. maybe thats a tad irresponsible, but i can't say its something i'm overly concerned with. i figure as long as i don't get bugs from near a crop field i won't have much to worry about.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also agree with the threats of pesticides and toad venom as being major factors in my using a pet shop! i live near some pretty big, unsprayed forrestry areas, and i still don't feed my t's wild prey because i'm afraid of migrant pesticide ridden bugs. try breeding mice. really cheap and easy, t's don't need many, so frequent feeding is unnecessary. good luck, crickets are like 12/$1 here, they go a long way for me, and i have @15 T's to maintain!=D

Kristin