I dropped my millipede :(

anarchyinthejp

Arachnopeon
He might have another chance if he is close to his next molt as he is not fully grown it seems
That's what I'm really hoping for...he's done one molt so far, and I'm just hoping his next one is close (his last one was only 3 months ago, and I'm not sure how often they molt...)

anarchyinthejp

Arachnopeon
UPDATE

So I checked on his terrarium tonight when I got home from work, and found him above his substrate, but below the sphagnum moss on top. I *did* lightly stroke him once to see if he was responsive, and he is! He's half-coiled but not completely...but moving. His rear end is still cracked obviously, but his little lychee insides aren't showing like they were yesterday.

I covered him back up (I didn't dig--just lifted the moss! Don't kill me!) and am feeling very hopeful. Now that I've gotten a quick peek at him, I'm going to leave him alone for a week before I check on him again, and really hope for the best. Thank you to everyone who gave me great advice and personal accounts. I will continue to update, hopefully with good news.

Munax

Arachnosquire
anarchyinthejp
UPDATE

So I checked on his terrarium tonight when I got home from work, and found him above his substrate, but below the sphagnum moss on top. I *did* lightly stroke him once to see if he was responsive, and he is! He's half-coiled but not completely...but moving. His rear end is still cracked obviously, but his little lychee insides aren't showing like they were yesterday.

I covered him back up (I didn't dig--just lifted the moss! Don't kill me!) and am feeling very hopeful. Now that I've gotten a quick peek at him, I'm going to leave him alone for a week before I check on him again, and really hope for the best. Thank you to everyone who gave me great advice and personal accounts. I will continue to update, hopefully with good news.
Hello anarchyinthejp, I just saw your thread and thought i'd say sorry for what happened, things like these happen to the best of us. In regards to your millipede, I'm glad he's doing good, but the fact that his ventral side ruptured, as well as head-area injuries, might still be worrisome. I've had that happen to some of my pets before and if it didn't kill them they interestingly enough didn't have the same temperament/personality as before their traumatic experience, but that may not be the case with your. Also, just a tip, if you cant find your pede and want to check if its still alive, just take a smell of the enclosure. If your pede has passed you will be able to smell it.

anarchyinthejp

Arachnopeon
anarchyinthejp

Hello anarchyinthejp, I just saw your thread and thought i'd say sorry for what happened, things like these happen to the best of us. In regards to your millipede, I'm glad he's doing good, but the fact that his ventral side ruptured, as well as head-area injuries, might still be worrisome. I've had that happen to some of my pets before and if it didn't kill them they interestingly enough didn't have the same temperament/personality as before their traumatic experience, but that may not be the case with your. Also, just a tip, if you cant find your pede and want to check if its still alive, just take a smell of the enclosure. If your pede has passed you will be able to smell it.
I just saw him today, and he was moving about a bit...but I'm noticing that the rear inch or so is (with due reason) very docile compared to the rest of him, although not paralysed. He will coil up, but the rear section will lay out about straighter, curved to the side. His front 5/8's is very active still, though. I gave him some fresh spinach and misted his terrarium, and talked to him a bit. He's doing his thing for now, and I don't see myself handling him for a very long time if at all, but may I ask what the 'smell' is like? Is it a definite death smell? :(

Munax

Arachnosquire
I just saw him today, and he was moving about a bit...but I'm noticing that the rear inch or so is (with due reason) very docile compared to the rest of him, although not paralysed. He will coil up, but the rear section will lay out about straighter, curved to the side. His front 5/8's is very active still, though. I gave him some fresh spinach and misted his terrarium, and talked to him a bit. He's doing his thing for now, and I don't see myself handling him for a very long time if at all, but may I ask what the 'smell' is like? Is it a definite death smell? :(
It would smell like old rotting compost or manure. It's a strong smell, you can't mistake it. Not much you can do but relax and just hope fore the best. Hopefully it'll all be fine after a week or two

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
Dropped millipedes are pretty sad. I also dropped my Smoky Oak millipede on the wood floor about 3 weeks ago (I was trying to move her into her new cage and she had a much worse grip than I was used to with my Florida Ivory) and she didn't seem to crack, but she has a bad bruise. Fingers crossed for your Milhouse!

Uromasto

Arachnopeon
Hello there. I'm aware that it's been 2 years since you dropped milhouse but is he ok?

Jaknat

Arachnopeon
I dropped my beautiful black African millipede, Milhouse, when I was trying to get him off my shoulder and into my other hand this morning. He landed on my kitchen carpet, and cracked one segment a few segments behind his head (fluid came out), and split open the very last segment at the back of his body, which I'll include a photo of.

I've had him for 6 months and have never dropped him, so I'm very, very upset. I put him back in his terrarium and he started digging, but I'm very concerned about the split rear section. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you think he'll make it??

Thank you in advance. I love my little guy and am absolutely gutted that I made such a stupid mistake :(

I have just done the same thing and am in the same boat as you although there is no visible damage on mine she i just hardly moving i would like to know how long it took yours and what happens through out her recovery please just so i know what to expect

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
I dropped my beautiful black African millipede, Milhouse, when I was trying to get him off my shoulder and into my other hand this morning. He landed on my kitchen carpet, and cracked one segment a few segments behind his head (fluid came out), and split open the very last segment at the back of his body, which I'll include a photo of.

I've had him for 6 months and have never dropped him, so I'm very, very upset. I put him back in his terrarium and he started digging, but I'm very concerned about the split rear section. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you think he'll make it??

Thank you in advance. I love my little guy and am absolutely gutted that I made such a stupid mistake :(
I’m not familiar with millipedes, however I would just leave it alone for a while, don’t bother it, don’t dig it out, don’t do anything except your routine maintenance.

Now you know Don’t Handle them, imagine this a Tarantula it would’ve most certainly been fatal.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I have just done the same thing and am in the same boat as you although there is no visible damage on mine she i just hardly moving i would like to know how long it took yours and what happens through out her recovery please just so i know what to expect
This is an old thread and the original poster didn't come back with an update, but as a general thing, millipedes are fragile. No external damage doesn't mean there isn't any internal damage. All you can really do is leave her alone and hope for the best.

Jaknat

Arachnopeon
This is an old thread and the original poster didn't come back with an update, but as a general thing, millipedes are fragile. No external damage doesn't mean there isn't any internal damage. All you can really do is leave her alone and hope for the best.
Thank you for letting me know she didnt come back and i know there fragile that is why i`m worried i hope she recovers i`m going to leave her alone for a while and hope for the best