Is this a GBB sling?

• Probably yup.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Probably nope.

Votes: 52 98.1%

• Total voters

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Doesn't look like one. Although it does seem to have some of the faint markings on it's abdomen.

LindseyG

Arachnopeon
It's darker than any GBB sling picture I've seen. Even for the possibility of being in pre molt.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
One thing I'm certain is thats not a "GBB" sling as they'll already show they're coloration at that size.

LindseyG

Arachnopeon
I'll just have to wait and see. I ordered it through a store that ordered it from a breeder. Asked the store if there was anything we could do and he just said no.

I'm going to try to push the issue in a few days, or maybe once it molts again.

$20 mystery sling isnt so bad I guess.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Definitely not a GBB, but I would say pretty certainly that it's a new world terrestrial, but at that size it's a crapshoot to properly ID any more than that.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm probably the last person who should try to ID a sling, but I can't help but notice that it bears a strong resemblance to this one: http://mytarantism.blogspot.com/2011/12/lasiodora-parahybana-sling.html and this one: http://www.biotropics.com/html/l__parahybana_01.html
I was going to suggest it is a Lasiodora as well, since they look almost identical to my L. difficilis spiderling, but I was caught recently guessing very wrong. Those super long legs and long abdomen really look Lasiodora like.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was going to suggest it is a Lasiodora as well, since they look almost identical to my L. difficilis spiderling, but I was caught recently guessing very wrong. Those super long legs and long abdomen really look Lasiodora like.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say that it *is* a Lasiodora of some sort (I'm not very good at identifying tarantulas) but it certainly looks more like a Lasiodora than a GBB (at least in my inexpert opinion).

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It is definitely not a GBB. As I commented on Facebook as well - I'm only going to go as far as it being a new world terrestrial and that is it. :)

louise f

Arachnoangel
No GBB you got there, no way. The GBB already have remarkable colors from 1st molt. And that one you got is rather colorless. Probably a LP

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Looks like a Lasiodora sp. sling for sure... Big price difference I would be pretty upset...

Bugmom

Arachnolord
If it's an LP sling, you paid too much.

On the bright side, you didn't pay nearly enough for a GBB sling. I can't remember ever seeing a GBB sling for $20. $35-45 is normal.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
There's a facebook group for AB??? :O
I don't know, but the group that I saw this post on is called Tarantula Keepers. There is also a great group called Canadian Tarantulas - some of the Canuck members here are on there as well.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This looks very similar to what my B. emilias looked like at sling stage. The markings on the abdomen to the mirror patch and the bulky triangle around the eyes that darkens over time. Similar to smithi too.

.. as for Lasiodora, I wouldnt know. It could well be. I have never owned one as a sling but I'm pretty sure they have a flatter, larger but less bulky carapace compared to Brachypelma.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
This is my LP about a month after I got her. She was a bit bigger then than yours is now, but look similar. And while it is true that you paid more than the norm, they are nice spiders IMO, and you'll enjoy it should you choose to keep it, IMO.
m_L parahybana.jpg

Here she is now... picture taken nearly two years to the day after I got her. Nothing for comparison scale, but probably between 5 and 6 inches in leg-span.
m_IMG_5818crop.jpg

And just for fun, her having dinner. As you can see, they are not as flashy as GBBs, but still good-looking.

m_IMG_5666crop.jpg

Attachments