I don't think this is a genic...

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
As you already know I got my T order last week. It included several slings, for example A. geniculatas and "The species formerly known as Vitalius cristatus" :D. One of them was supposed to be a bigger A. geniculata sling (1 inch).
But I have my doubts...
The carapace is very light and the knees are also overally light in color. There are also white stripes in the tibia.

I'm thinking this is Vitalius cristatus/'Lasiodora' cristata...

What do you think?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i have douts about mine......has she got a really really red adbomen? mine nova is bright red, once i get pics of her ill ask you lot what you think lol, but from your pics my nova looks alot like that but her abdomen is full of bright red hairs

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
My L. cristata is slightly larger than that, but looks exactly like it. Does it have a greyish carapace?

Bill

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
The carapace is kind of light beige in color. The abdomen has reddish hairs.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
If I'm not mistaken, there are two color forms of L. cristata (I can't recall the source for that, but I seem to remember having a dark form one)

The leg markings at that size are the same on my L. cristata, but also the same in pattern on the genic I have here (pretty much an adult) Both species also have reddish abdomen hairs.

I've never had a genic that small, so I couldn't tell you when the carapace goes black like the adult I have. I also think that the 'ligth form' I saw was rather beigeish.. let me do some looking around, I'll get back to you..

Bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Now I remember.. Rick West's gallery..

http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/3/0072.htm Light Form

http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0024.htm Dark Form

Mine is the greyish 'dark form' on his page, but you may have one of the light form ones. Again, I am not sure what a 1 inch A. genic looks like, but pictures I've found of them at one inch have almost none of the adult coloration to the degree yours does.

Like these two on this page:

http://members.madasafish.com/~arachnocity/ageniculata.htm

So, my poor opinion is, considering that mine is barely larger than yours, and displays full adult coloring already, that you are probably correct.

Bill

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe you scored an A.brocklehursti??? They look a lot like A.geniculata but have a paler carapace. I believe the leg markings are only slightly different too.

While I doubt this would happen in the US, you're in Finland and I believe that A brocklehursti are being bred frequently over your way. They aren't nearly as expensive as in the US, so I would assume it to be possible.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
[/url]

So, my poor opinion is, considering that mine is barely larger than yours, and displays full adult coloring already, that you are probably correct.

Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

I have raised them both and was going to say the exact opposite. The A. geniculatas that I raised got their colors sooner than my L. cristatas. I really don't know how much stock can be put in that though. I had B. vagans from 2 different sources that got their adult colors at different sizes.

These two species can appear similar as slings and IMO, nothing about that pic definitively rules out A. geniculata. Until I saw more, I would assume it was what I bought it as.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
J.P. - Again, I say poor opinion ;)

Anyhow, with A. genic spiderlings, does the carapace darken to the adult black color at the same time the black shows up on the legs, in your previous experience?

Bill

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
J.P. - Again, I say poor opinion ;)

Anyhow, with A. genic spiderlings, does the carapace darken to the adult black color at the same time the black shows up on the legs, in your previous experience?
Bill
[/QUOTE

Bill- There are no poor opinions around here. Ok, maybe a couple:) .

I don't think that it did, but I honestly can't recall. It seems to me that I can see the carapace in the second pic, and it doesn't appear to be that light. That could be just a photo effect though.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Ok, I'm totally going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that last photo is definately L. cristata :)

This is mine, slightly larger than yours..

Bill

Last edited:

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would have to agree with Bill, that last pic looks exactly like my Gracie(Cristata). They are beautiful, though:) Pam

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
I am going to agree with Bill (conipto) that looks most to me a Lasiodora cristata, geniculata if i am not mistaken have a more at this stage a lighter fluidly looking carapace!

James

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
heres my a. genic

next to a nickel for size comparison...it IS much darker than yours.

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spike
Is that considered an aggressive species??
I haven't heard them labelled as an overly defensive species. I've heard alot of people say they kick hair quite a bit. Even my little sling kicks hair a good bit, so I'm apt to believe it.

Bill