I don't like the new dress !

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
My female P.met recently molted and lost most of her beautiful blue. Instead of wearing a stunning evening gown she now looks like one of those granny's that forgot how to dress. Here are before and after pics. And yes she's still pretty but so very different now. IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0164.JPG

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Right!!! It's hard not to be a bit bummed. She was 5 1/2 inches in the first pic. She might be just at 6 inches now maybe a little over. But the color change. Almost like she took a bunt from the ugly stick.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
="Blue Jaye, post: 2570691, memght!!! It's hard not to be a bit bummed. She was 5 1/2 inches in the first pic. She might be just at 6 inches now maybe a little over. But the color change. Almost like she took a bunt from the ugly stick.
Is this normal for P.metallica? Is this species sexually dimorphic (sp), and could it be a male? (I have no experience or a lot of knowledge about Poecilotheria, but this made me curious)

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately yes P.mets do change with growth and age. She's definitely not a male as she dropped a sac awhile back. Males look about the same just a bit more leggy and they retain the pattern in the white stripe on the abdomen. Females drop those little triangles and it becomes a plain white stripe. I've got a few of this species females and males. And all have changed their patterns over time.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, if you really hate her new look, I'm sure you could find plenty of people who would be willing to take her off your hands! ;)

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
But then I would miss out on her next dress. She's still one of my favorite Ts. She's about as mellow as they come. Such a methodical slow mover for a pokie. Takes food rather gently, keeps a clean house, chews on her background, never a threat pose and out most of the time. All in all a very neat individual. She just made a bad outfit choice. It's cool I've been there:eek:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't mind the ontogenetic color change with P.mets.. In some It gives them a ghostly appearance.. With some others they turn almost black and that makes them look beastly! My nephew has one that is a nice gun metal blue it will be interesting to see how she changes with her next molt..

Why it happens and why it's so variable between individuals is what I would really like to know..

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've seen a couple of adult female mets that where black and looked absolutely stunning. Far nicer than the younger blue ones.

creepa

Arachnoknight
This is just the way nature is...
Most females after a sertain age just lose there beauty...:troll::troll:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Mine got a lot brighter blue with the last molt. Is this fade a precursor to her going a darker blackish with purple highlights? I've seen some of those looking really nice.

You'll have to keep me updated on the next molt if there is another change. Mine is about 4.5/5 right now and looks like your before pic. It has been acting like it's getting close to molting so I'll have to see if mine does the same.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some believe it to be true that females darken with age. I am somewhat a believer in that, as most I have owned turn darker with age, except for one.
This certain female (the one quoted above), is older than all of the below mature females, by at least two years/3 molts.

Here are my other females, all freshly molted pictures. All females are 5.5-7" and are all over the age of 5.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Some believe it to be true that females darken with age. I am somewhat a believer in that, as most I have owned turn darker with age, except for one.
This certain female (the one quoted above), is older than all of the below mature females, by at least two years/3 molts.

Here are my other females, all freshly molted pictures. All females are 5.5-7" and are all over the age of 5.

I'd sell my grandma's liver for the 3rd one. She's absolutely stonking.