I dont know if my tarantula is Dead!!!

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was actually getting on to start a thread because my avic died. Its soo crazy because mine was doing the EXACT same thing. It was really depressing because she was my first T and i only had her a little while. So when youre feeling down, remember youre in good company :D

ChondroGirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We are so sorry, Sarah! That is very sad! :(

When you are ready, you need to get another sweet tarantula.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My wife and daughter have had a couple do a header and land on the floor and die while they were handling them. The lastest was the blondi I got my son-in-law for Christmas. So they went to the Maryland show and got another one. That's what we all do.
So, you have killed 2 of your T's by handling and continue to buy more and keep doing it?

This is why so many people are against handling, it causes unnecessary risk to the tarantula and can end in death.

Sarah, sorry you lost your T. If I may make a suggestion, get a B. smithi or g. aureostriata, they are both very docile, big, and not as difficult to care for as avacularia spp.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Psst...Sarah's incident happened in 2004...;) )
If you can get a picture somehow of your guy, that might help. Sometimes they "curl" in weird positions. Unless its legs are curled underneath it, it's probably fine. Just make sure it has plenty of water.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
WOWWWWWW, i deleted all of what i wrote cuz i didint realise this was 2004 lol... O well.. Hope you kept going on with ur collection.. Why was the thread bumped? its liek 4 years old

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol ancient history being rewrite..damn dont u peeps read or lokk at the date ..thanx Alexis for letting us noe...(pssss incident happen in 2004...) well sarah i hope u got a new t BY NOW...try misting on the side glass or container.(2 time weekly is fine..);)

teddybear52

Arachnopeon
rose hair trantula

my trantula is barely moving and was moving lost before it slowed down why?legs are not under it .i touched it and it moved just a little bit is it molting or whar i had this happen too 2 of them i bought and they turned up dead so what about this one? been like this for a week now but still alive has lots too drink and eat but not putting crickets in till i know what is going on.anybody tell me? i have a pic of him but cant load it on here.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, weird to read a thread and then see it is from seven years ago! Hopefully by now she has gone to school?

Spyroo33

Arachnopeon
i have heard if a tarantula gets stuck in its molt you can surgically remove it, but its risky

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
..............{D:clap:
Spyroo's being serious. It is actually possible to help a stuck T out of a molt in certain circumstances. A few people have tried it with differing degrees of success.

This certainly is the thread that keeps on giving :D.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
My newly acquired tiny T.apophysis sling had a terrible (1st or 2nd?) molt. The two legs closest to the abdomen look very weird, tentacle like and completely useless. The abdomen was completely stuck. I removed the piece of excuvium covering the abdomen using a wet q tip and small pinchers. Right now the T still has no use of those two legs but is still alive after 2 days of the operation. I will try feeding on Wednesday, which should be the ultimate test. It can not walk properly due to the damaged legs but it tries and I congratulate it for this after this ordeal. I hope it survives as I love this species.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Ya it is possible to help a T out of its molt but its very risky and you need steady hands and nervs of steel, i havent had the opportunity to do so my self (which is a good thing) but i have seen people help their T's out of the molt and let me tell you what, a game of "Operation" has nothing on this talk about sweating bullets

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
Robc performed the procedure on a T. Blondi and he did a stellar job at it but it still died in the end.
It has been done before and it is supposedly possible to save the T but I wouldn't want to have to pull it off myself (pun not intended har har).
Damn. :eek::?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
My tarantula is also not moving. Is it dead? Here's a picture:
How long has it been this way? I've had a few slings die in that position, it doesn't look good to me, but it's hard to say from just a pic. More info is always good. That substrate is waaaay too wet also.

Last edited: