I don't... "get" Tarantulas.

Coradams

Arachnoknight
You can't really handle or interact with them,
You're really overthinking this. There is little interaction with the fish in an aquarium or with houseplants but people like to keep them. There can be an appreciation of something that does not need a lot of attention.

When I decide to take responsibility for a pet, I don't really think "what's in it for me."

8 legged

Arachnoprince
You're really overthinking this. There is little interaction with the fish in an aquarium or with houseplants but people like to keep them. There can be an appreciation of something that does not need a lot of attention.

When I decide to take responsibility for a pet, I don't really think "what's in it for me."
Very nicely circumscribed!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Okay. Orchid mantises are pretty, but that's about all I know. Tell me more!
The Mantis are classic slash and burn agriculturalists and expert hunters. They live in the vast Vale do Javari Indigenous Park, an area of 32,000 sq miles (the size of Austria) in the far west of Brazil.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
To keep on topic, feel free to PM me your questions. I’ll say this here though - orchid mantids are super finicky and get bacterial infections easily. I would stray from them until you know what you’re doing.

The Mantis are classic slash and burn agriculturalists and expert hunters. They live in the vast Vale do Javari Indigenous Park, an area of 32,000 sq miles (the size of Austria) in the far west of Brazil.
That sarcasm is viper level 😂

cold blood

Staff member
They come in a lot of beautiful forms along with those orchids. But they are excellent hunters, voracious eaters, very fast growers and have an intelligence to them that makes them even more interesting. But even the common ones are cool looking IMO. The downside is very short lifespans though.

xulixzo

Arachnopeon
They come in a lot of beautiful forms along with those orchids. But they are excellent hunters, voracious eaters, very fast growers and have an intelligence to them that makes them even more interesting. But even the common ones are cool looking IMO. The downside is very short lifespans though.
Too be fair, I do keep jumpers, so the lifespan is not a huge issue. Larry is a gorgeous boy! How old is he? Will he get bigger?

cold blood

Staff member
Too be fair, I do keep jumpers, so the lifespan is not a huge issue. Larry is a gorgeous boy! How old is he? Will he get bigger?
The name was a funny......It was one I picked up while out walking the dog. This is a full grown chinese mantid I believe.

xulixzo

Arachnopeon
The name was a funny......It was one I picked up while out walking the dog. This is a full grown chinese mantid I believe.
Idk, I think you're on to something here. I look at him and I think, "oh yeah, that's a Larry."

Neat!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

Not going to be drawn into the pros or cons of T keeping, and not going to itemise individual replies, just a few pointers. Firstly- where is the OP going to, to ask straight forward questions concerning T,s- the Kennel Club? Secondly several members on here need to have more of an open mind about a topic, instead of being blinded by the sun that shines from you tarantulas back side!!. Thirdly regarding having no interaction with fish - I kept a beautiful Diamond Backed Stergeon that would always swim to the surface and continue to skim the surface until I fed him/ her with its worms, which it used to take from the palm of my hand and would only leave the surface when I showed it both empty hands. Then there was my very large Marine Puffer fish that used to go biserk when I entered the room, and would also come to the surface for feeding, which it used to very gently take Lance fish from my fingers - so please - proven facts Before posting.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
That's OK. Not everything is for everyone.

I would suspect the public at large doesn't get them either.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That says more about the board than it does about me. If you're gonna say that me not understanding why people like tarantulas is "trashing board members and AB itself for no good" then you may want to switch to beekeeping, because you'll fit right in with the hivemind there.

I don't like you, but I don't wish you ill either. Gl with your pets and your future. That goes for everyone else, too.
You clearly have not read what I quoted from you. If you had, you would not have written what you just said. You’re clearly not firing on all cylinders.

Your post #64 is why I replied- you forgot what you wrote already! Scroll up forgetful.

I don’t care what you think of me haha

I tend to let my feathers get ruffled when people post things with the sole intent of insulting our members, and occasionally I respond too passionately, but the OP in this case wasn't worth it. You know what I do when I don't like something someone says? Scroll on by. I've never needed the ignore function. Get thicker skin people!
I usually do scroll on, but her comment was uncalled for.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
So, this is something I've never understood, and after having spent some time reading through the boards, the stance is only reinforced in my mind.
I do not know how many hours, if not minutes you have spent, to REALLY understand about tarantula keeping, but in my honest opinion, I do not think you have spent much time into it at all.

What is the appeal of tarantulas?
Everything.

I don't want to insult your hobby (he says before insulting your hobby)
So you really are insulting, that’s nice…

but... It just seems boring.
In your view, it might.

You can't really handle or interact with them
Tarantulas need to be observed, not handled. There are so many ways to interact with tarantulas. Interaction does not need to involve handling of tarantulas.

They're extremely finicky & dumb (I've seen so many stories on here of Ts killing themselves because they tried to climb away from suboptimal substrate & falling, or trying to burrow towards a heat mat and dying, or having slightly off humidity and deathcurling, etc.)
Tarantulas are at no fault here. Getting tarantulas without knowing / having / studying husbandry, care, updated information are at fault for all things you have listed above.

you can't form any sort of meaningful bond with them since they're only capable of seeing you as "food, threat or perch."
What sort of meaningful bond you want to have with tarantulas I do not know, but what you are expecting here, you will not get it. I suggest you to get a dog or a cat instead.

It seems like you're spending years of your life catering to the exact needs of a one-sided relationship. Why?
Again, what are you really expecting from tarantulas? Love? Mutual relationship? You want tarantulas to hold your hand and say everything will be alright? You want tarantulas to fix you breakfast, and offer you desserts and hot teas? I really don’t get it.

I keep jumping spiders. They're relatively easy, they're fun to watch & handle, and they're not a massive time investment. Kind of the opposite of Ts.
Almost nothing is opposite from jumping spiders to tarantulas. You only can say this because you really don’t know / get how to keep tarantulas.

To me, the only two things Ts have over jumpers is lifespan and size.
That would also be the only two things you have over jumpers.

Oh, and this is a completely subjective low-blow, but 99% of Ts I've seen are just... ugly.
In your view, it’s possible. Lately, have you look at the mirr… nah, never mind.

So what's the point?
So what’s the point really?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
@xulixzo This is a place just like any other place on the internet where people are full of opinions. The difference is here is it's centered around tarantulas, and to a lesser extent scorpions, true spiders, myriapods, insects, herps, etc. But mostly tarantulas. And there is information here about the first ever breeding of some species in captivity. You can read about a species being discovered and then watch it enter the hobby. You can learn so much here by reading and asking questions.

I just like looking at cool spiders. If you don't think a bright blue spider, or a 12" spider, or a purple striped spider, or 5" spider with horns is amazing then I don't know what to tell you. Giant and colorful spiders are awesome. They are so much fun to take care of and very easy and meditative.

Most people here have other pets they can hold too. Lots of people with dogs, cats, herps, I'm sure birds and everything else. Find me a jumping spider that will get the size of a dinner plate. I have a handful of jumpers and they're cool, but tarantulas are number 1. It's a love no one can explain.

OP's post reads like a cat has typed it about dogs or vice versa.
By far the best comment