I Didn't Know

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I turned my friend on to T's and he went and brought a full-grown G. rosea. Today he asked me if it would eat a pinkie, because he has a pinkie left over from a snake he sold last week. i told him that most people say only to feed inverts, but he still wants to try the pinkie

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, his choice. you could tell someone the drawbacks to feeding a tarantula a vert all you want to, but some people just do it anyway.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, his choice. you could tell someone the drawbacks to feeding a tarantula a vert all you want to, but some people just do it anyway.
so true. but what i meant was will a G. rosea eat a pinkie

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It doesnt hurt once in awhile to do that as I occasionally do the same when I have a pinky left over from feeding snakes. I wouldnt recommend making a habit out of it though

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so true. but what i meant was will a G. rosea eat a pinkie
Yes it will if it is in feed mode. In fact I fed one an adult mouse a looooooong time ago. Now do not I repeat dont do that!!! It is more trouble than its worth with all the mess you have to clean up afterwards and the fact it could be dangerous to the spider.
Repeat.....dont do what I did in the pic below

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
An adult mouse is a bit dif 2 a pinkie. You'll prob have 2 clear up more mess from an adult mouse than u wud a pinkie as there is more of it! I've fed pinkies to my spids in the past.. my 2.5" juvie aureostriata ate a pinky and only left a small bolus and no mess and no smell.
You'll always get lots of opinions on this... They are high in calcium for the spiders though, and feeding them a lot can harm the T so ive read! Not good for the fangs or something... But once in a blue moon wont harm her.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Yes it will if it is in feed mode. In fact I fed one an adult mouse a looooooong time ago. Now do not I repeat dont do that!!! It is more trouble than its worth with all the mess you have to clean up afterwards and the fact it could be dangerous to the spider.
Pre-killed I assume?

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of the time only slings will eat pre killed. This is my 6’’ G rosea that I received eating a mouse. It wasn’t pre killed and the smell of the 2 day process was horrendous it lingered through out my whole house. I have tried to give her pre killed but she won’t touch it. I like mice and the thought of them being alive for a long amount of time while being consumed is heart breaking to me so my T’s only get crickets, worms and roaches.

Bad picture taken with an old camera.

Steph

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
amazing picture... but I prefer don't give mice to my T's, is a mess...