I did it i bought my first t' ๐Ÿ˜„

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
There's nothing at all wrong with being over prepaired. I'm one of those people who enjoy the chaos of flying by the seat of their pants to a certain extent. I at least poke the water to make sure I'm not going to break my neck when I dive in. After that is where the adventure begins. Unfortunately I'm stubborn so I learn the most from the bumps and bruises along the way.
I used to do that but with age and experience I have learnt to be cautious๐Ÿ˜Š although once I am comfortable with something I am unstoppable ๐Ÿ˜†

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
Alas, I'm 40 in august... so I probably will never learn :cool: I think I spent the first half of my life way to cautious. Different lives, different stories but in the end they all are great.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Thanks all ,I am like a kid on their birthday , so excited feel like I could bust lol . Tuesday can't come soon enough ๐Ÿ˜
Totally relatable every time I get a spider itโ€™s so exciting, donโ€™t be afraid to pick up a few more ;) super tiny slings I also have to agree should stay in a very small cup, once itโ€™s about an inch moving it to a mansion of a terrarium for its size seems fine to me, I have 2 very small slings under half an inch and I moved the P. Orph to a larger deli cup and actually regret it, it does eat less does hide more and even this deli cup was pretty small, the Panama blonde I have still in the vial it came in eats instantly and I can know within a couple minutes whether it is going to accept or reject its prey item.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Totally relatable every time I get a spider itโ€™s so exciting, donโ€™t be afraid to pick up a few more ;) super tiny slings I also have to agree should stay in a very small cup, once itโ€™s about an inch moving it to a mansion of a terrarium for its size seems fine to me, I have 2 very small slings under half an inch and I moved the P. Orph to a larger deli cup and actually regret it, it does eat less does hide more and even this deli cup was pretty small, the Panama blonde I have still in the vial it came in eats instantly and I can know within a couple minutes whether it is going to accept or reject its prey item.
I have 3 different sizes for her now all smaller than the one I bought with her just incase smallest being 7cm deep by 5 cm round so am hoping she will fit at least one of them ๐Ÿ˜ I am definitely excited though been counting the big sleeps till she comes with my son he is 7 and is as excited as I am ๐Ÿ˜Š and thanks for any info I have researched for about 15 months first but I can't learn everything from books blogs and Tom's big spiders lol so all info is welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
I have 3 different sizes for her now all smaller than the one I bought with her just incase smallest being 7cm deep by 5 cm round so am hoping she will fit at least one of them ๐Ÿ˜ I am definitely excited though been counting the big sleeps till she comes with my son he is 7 and is as excited as I am ๐Ÿ˜Š and thanks for any info I have researched for about 15 months first but I can't learn everything from books blogs and Tom's big spiders lol so all info is welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š
Indeed Iโ€™m learning myself, this place is great though many personal experiences from experienced people here :p

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Indeed Iโ€™m learning myself, this place is great though many personal experiences from experienced people here :p
Yes everyone has been super helpful and really nice . I am very much enjoying myself here ๐Ÿ˜Š I learn more every day from the people on here a very cool place imo ๐Ÿ˜Ž

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Yes everyone has been super helpful and really nice . I am very much enjoying myself here ๐Ÿ˜Š I learn more every day from the people on here a very cool place imo ๐Ÿ˜Ž
A bit late to the party on this one but others have rightly said that the original enclosure is a little on the large side and you know have that corrected.

Just remember smaller enclosure also means smaller ventilation holes as you do not want your little beauty to escape.

I have 15 B baumgartni at various sizes so if you have any questions, shoot.

But general care is, lots of sub, moss or other small areas to hide and mist or drop water droplets on one side. One trick I have come across when trying to have water dishes for slings is to use cupboard blanking caps. But honestly, if you keep one side moist and have some moss at that side too, there is enough water to keep them hydrated.

2cm is the maximum overall length from TSS and so be prepared for a spider that is probably smaller than the house spiders you have been looking after. They are also very plain looking at that size so will not have any of the adult colours.

Feeding not mentioned yet but at that size you are looking at either 3 or 4 micro (pinhead) crickets, or a small cricket once or twice a week. If you can't gee micro or small crickets (preferred), pluck a leg off a larger cricket and it will feed off that. General rule of thumb is don't feed prey (especially crickets) any larger than the size of your spiders abdomen.

In the UK, the normal range of cricket sizes are:
Micro
Small
Medium/small
Medium
Standard
Large
Extra large
...usually either brown or black.
Note: Black crickets are more aggressive in my experience and a lot of my Ts don't like them so I try to avoid them.

Below is collage of my AF at her last moult where you can see the gorgeous orange legs that the B baumgartni have and picture taken just now (with and without flash) so you can also see the dark carapace that this species have.
Hope these give you something to look forward to in about 10 years haha as all Brachypelma like to keep you waiting! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
20201118_183456.jpg 20210411_094952.jpg

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Micro
Small
Medium/small
Medium
Standard
Large
Extra large
Note: Black crickets are more aggressive in my experience and a lot of my Ts don't like them so I try to avoid them.
I would have been very surprised if the crickets in the UK would grow differently than in the rest of the world ๐Ÿคฃ

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I would have been very surprised if the crickets in the UK would grow differently than in the rest of the world ๐Ÿคฃ
Ha ha....no they don't ๐Ÿคฃ

Was just pointing out the sizes that are readily available for a new T owner to become familiar with.๐Ÿ‘

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
A bit late to the party on this one but others have rightly said that the original enclosure is a little on the large side and you know have that corrected.

Just remember smaller enclosure also means smaller ventilation holes as you do not want your little beauty to escape.

I have 15 B baumgartni at various sizes so if you have any questions, shoot.

But general care is, lots of sub, moss or other small areas to hide and mist or drop water droplets on one side. One trick I have come across when trying to have water dishes for slings is to use cupboard blanking caps. But honestly, if you keep one side moist and have some moss at that side too, there is enough water to keep them hydrated.

2cm is the maximum overall length from TSS and so be prepared for a spider that is probably smaller than the house spiders you have been looking after. They are also very plain looking at that size so will not have any of the adult colours.

Feeding not mentioned yet but at that size you are looking at either 3 or 4 micro (pinhead) crickets, or a small cricket once or twice a week. If you can't gee micro or small crickets (preferred), pluck a leg off a larger cricket and it will feed off that. General rule of thumb is don't feed prey (especially crickets) any larger than the size of your spiders abdomen.

Micro
Small
Medium/small
Medium
Standard
Large
Extra large

Below is collage of my AF at her last moult where you can see the gorgeous orange legs that the B baumgartni have and picture taken just now (with and without flash) so you can also see the dark carapace that this species have.
Hope these give you something to look forward to in about 10 years haha as all Brachypelma like to keep you waiting! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
View attachment 381407 View attachment 381408
Stunning girl ! And thank you I am preparing for a small sling and grew my spiders from 1mm and 3mm size so I am up for the challenge ๐Ÿ˜ I used a sewing needle to poke holes so am hoping they'll be small enough and I look forward to the wait watching it grow and change colour as she gets her adult colour and I have micro banded crickets and fruit flys for food so fingers crossed . I really can't wait ๐Ÿ˜†

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Stunning girl ! And thank you I am preparing for a small sling and grew my spiders from 1mm and 3mm size so I am up for the challenge ๐Ÿ˜ I used a sewing needle to poke holes so am hoping they'll be small enough and I look forward to the wait watching it grow and change colour as she gets her adult colour and I have micro banded crickets and fruit flys for food so fingers crossed . I really can't wait ๐Ÿ˜†
You are all good to go ๐Ÿ™‚
Look forward to seeing you post when the little un arrives. Not long to wait now....I bet you don't sleep tomorrow night ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Been counting down like Christmas lmao ๐Ÿคฃ and there will definitely be pics ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Š
I am excited for you too. Great to see such passion. Get the feeling that is going to be one very spoilt baby. And as you asked me on a different post, what name have you got lined up? ๐Ÿ™‚

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I am excited for you too. Great to see such passion. Get the feeling that is going to be one very spoilt baby. And as you asked me on a different post, what name have you got lined up? ๐Ÿ™‚
Blossom for a girl and if she is a he Bapple ๐Ÿ˜Š and yes I think will definitely be spoiled โ˜บI like to do the best I can for the beings I love ๐Ÿ˜Š

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Blossom for a girl and if she is a he Bapple ๐Ÿ˜Š and yes I think will definitely be spoiled โ˜บI like to do the best I can for the beings I love ๐Ÿ˜Š
What it going to be named until itโ€™s sexed.....lol....thatโ€™s a long ways away with your 2cm Brachy ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Great names. ๐Ÿ‘
Pick one for now (unless you call it Bapple Blossom to cover both bases LOL) as it will take a while before you will be able to sex. Ha ha

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Probably go with Bapple or maybe pip till I am sure , either way I am a happy girl ๐Ÿ˜Š

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Probably go with Bapple or maybe pip till I am sure , either way I am a happy girl ๐Ÿ˜Š
Please go with Pip!

My daughter's one and only T was called 'Pip' a little Nhandu chromatus sling (1cm) that was marked up incorrectly by the pet shop we got it from as was supposed to be an Acanthoscurria geniculata. The pet shop used common name and they are very similar.

I still have its 1st moult mounted in a keyring with a message to my daughter (or 'Mummy' as it came from the spider) thanking her for looking after and feeding etc. It was cute as my Daughter used to say it had "shredded" the skin instead of shed their skin. Still makes me smile when I see it...and that was 15 years ago!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Please go with Pip!

My daughter's one and only T was called 'Pip' a little Nhandu chromatus sling (1cm) that was marked up incorrectly by the pet shop we got it from as was supposed to be an Acanthoscurria geniculata. The pet shop used common name and they are very similar.

I still have its 1st moult mounted in a keyring with a message to my daughter (or 'Mummy' as it came from the spider) thanking her for looking after and feeding etc. It was cute as my Daughter used to say it had "shredded" the skin instead of shed their skin. Still makes me smile when I see it...and that was 15 years ago!
It's decided Pip it is then ๐Ÿ˜‰