I decided to give terracotta pots a try

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
IMG_0387.JPG My A. genic. was looking like she needed some more space, so I rehoused her. I decided to try using a terracotta pot as a hide. Does anyone know of a good way to cut these in half? I was hoping for two hides and only got one.

BwR11

Arachnopeon
I bought a cheap hacksaw from Ace hardware. I would start with that. I don't know what I would do if that didn't work.

When making hides for my snake I used plastic pots. I could burn or cut them however I needed to. Easy clean up.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I bought a cheap hacksaw from Ace hardware. I would start with that. I don't know what I would do if that didn't work.

When making hides for my snake I used plastic pots. I could burn or cut them however I needed to. Easy clean up.
I'll have to try a hack saw. I was using a rotary tool and I ruined a cutting wheel. The Other half of the pot broke into bits.

houston

Arachnopeon
I would try the Dremel again, but with a stone cutting tip. If the pot breaks then you just have some hides for smaller spiders or cage decor :p

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Yeah, so far I just broke mine on the side of our steps outside. One broke pretty well, the other did not at all break how I was hoping for. I got creative and it still works really well, and you can even just use a piece of the pot as a hide with little trouble.

Edit: Though this method is very random and doesn't always produce "beautiful" results ;)

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
It's best to soak the pot well, before you cut it. Make it less likely to break. Then any saw will do.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Awesome enclosure! I wouldve used a 10x10x10 basketball case myself, but i love the colors on that genic!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I think @EulersK knocks out the base of the pot with a hammer, and then uses the spike to hit the side. It breaks exactly in half.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I would try the Dremel again, but with a stone cutting tip. If the pot breaks then you just have some hides for smaller spiders or cage decor :p
I'll have to run to the store. I wonder if Harbor Freight has a stone cutting attachment.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'm feeling this hardcore... my last class ended last week and I'm afraid to look at my final grade :eek:
I just finished exams two weeks ago and tomorrow I get to start studying for the worst exam of my life, the bar exam. Its about 10 weeks away. Good bye summer I guess. I have about 8 hours of study scheduled for tomorrow to kick off the FUN! :banghead:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think @EulersK knocks out the base of the pot with a hammer, and then uses the spike to hit the side. It breaks exactly in half.
Dead on. The "spike" part of the hammer is called a claw, by the way ;)
Gentle does it when using the claw. Too hard will randomly shatter the side, making that side unusable. Too soft will do nothing but give you another chance... possibly this time with a crack. If done correctly, you'll end up with two hides for $1.79 that can neither mold or break down. Side tip: Don't use the short pots. Rather, don't use what you'd find at Home Depot. I linked a craft supply shop for a reason. They tend to sell pots that are taller and therefore longer when used as a hide. Slightly more expensive (and possibly out of the way), but bounds better than the short ones.

I'll have to try a hack saw. I was using a rotary tool and I ruined a cutting wheel. The Other half of the pot broke into bits.
I'd advise against using a rotary tool to cut it. I've tried the Dremel idea, and even with the bit specifically designed for cutting terra cotta it took far too long. Fiberglass cutoff wheels are next to useless on them... just produces a smoke that hurts your throat for a few days :rofl:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
These are pretty much all I use. They're super cheap and readily available. I usually break mine with a light tap of a hammer or bury them whole into the substrate.