I.d.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I caught this beauty on Saturday. Any ideas of what species it is? I've never seen anything like it here. In one of the pics you can see it sitting on a 2 Euro coin. It's 1 inch in diameter.

Attachments

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like some sort of trapdoor..not sure of what kind though

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great find man! That is the female of Eresus niger ! If I remember correctly, it is a rare and protected species. According to my little book : "Eresids live under a stone at the end of a silken tube from which a web extends beyond the stone between plant stems. The web resembles that of a funnel weaver, but is not as clean and new looking. Some have a color over tube. Males may be brightly colored."

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, i've done some homework as well, and found a bit more detailed article, but nothing that says where it is protected.
Well, I'm keeping her for, now. Maybe I'll find a male, who knows!!!!
And it's not called Eresus Niger anymore, its called
Eresus SomethingelseIdontremembernow.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, I found that out too. It is now...drum roll..... Eresus cinnaberinus! ( like it really matters what they call it anyway )

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, I thought that was a lady bird spider eresus walckenaerius

the male in my book looks just like the one in that pic but i got a different name i could be wrong?

Later cody,

Last edited:

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The correct name is Eresus niger and it's protected only in France as I know.
The males are smaller, with a very red opisthosoma pointed with four black spots.
It's a very intereseting species!
Keep it into a tank with high level soil so it can dig his hole to catch the preys....
Regards
Emanuele

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi guys, I though I'd give you an update. She made an eggsack that popped before I could take it so I had to search all over the cage for the slings. I found some but untill now only two have made it and hopefully I'll be able to release them in the spring... here are a couple of pics... in one of the pics you can see the tip of a match for size comparison....

<Edit: the server I tried Doesnt seem to support remote linking>
:mad:

Last edited: