I caved in at the Petstore or oops I did it again.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's the wonderful thing about Tarantulas. They lose a limb and it regenerates by the next molt.

Whammy_Sosa

Arachnopeon
Are these pet stores the type that specialize in reptiles and arachnids, or clueless mom and pop stores that will stock 2 or 3 tarantulas at all times.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
My juvenile Usumbara is also quote docile if given a place to hide. That being said, though, I have six mature ones and they are all insane. Their reputation is well deserved, IMHO, as they are the only T I know that will come out of their webbing mass to strike at you repeatedly. Even when they don't come out, you will sometimes just feel them throwing a fit inside their webbing mass. Anything that will try to bite the container they are in is worthy of respect in my books. My H.lividum is quite well behaved by virtue of the fact that it almost never comes out of its burrow.

Cheers,
Dave

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
My juvenile Usumbara is also quote docile if given a place to hide. That being said, though, I have six mature ones and they are all insane. Their reputation is well deserved, IMHO, as they are the only T I know that will come out of their webbing mass to strike at you repeatedly. Even when they don't come out, you will sometimes just feel them throwing a fit inside their webbing mass. Anything that will try to bite the container they are in is worthy of respect in my books. My H.lividum is quite well behaved by virtue of the fact that it almost never comes out of its burrow.

Cheers,
Dave
I'm finding that my supposedly aggressive spiders are not as much trouble as they had been made out to be. I think the key is to give them a place to hide so that they feel secure with their surroundings.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Whammy_Sosa
Are these pet stores the type that specialize in reptiles and arachnids, or clueless mom and pop stores that will stock 2 or 3 tarantulas at all times.
They are not very knowledgeable with spiders but they mean well. I'm sure I can help them when I can if they have any questions.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrates on the OBT!
I Knew when you went on cricket run you'd fold!!!!!
I'm up for a cricket run today....
(Twitch....)
Maybe I'll be lucky and they won't have gotten in new shipment yet.
(Twitch, twitch twitch)
I'm only going for crickets.
(Twitch twitch, twitch twitch twitch)
That's ALL!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I did it again today. I bought yet another Asian spider to go along with my Vietnamese Tiger and Cobalt Blue. So far the Usambara is the only African spider I have. It had the label Himalayan "Something" Baboon. I started a thread specifically to see if anyone knew the scientific name for this spider or if it has been incorrectly labeled.