I caved in at the Petstore or oops I did it again.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As usual, I went to the petstore just to buy crickets for my Tarantulas. But the temptation was too great though. I was going to purchase another Chilean Rosehair but another Tarantula had caught my eye. There hiding in the corner of an oversized tank was a little 2 inch Usambara. I just had to get it. So now I am the proud owner of an Oreange Bitey Thing named Tang.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats!

I too, am feeling the need to get another 8 legged friend.

The tally so far in the house: 1 Ball Python, 1 G. Rosea, 40+ fish of various kinds (Mostly Convict Cichlids) 3 Cockatiels, 1 Lovebird, and 1 Sun conure (Hes still in the egg)

My wife and I have no children, we just love animals. Its time to get another T. :)

-Jason

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure I got an usambara today, myself. I just got an order from Swift, and the freebie vial was somewhat smudged; all I know is that the common name features the word "baboon" in it, and this spiderling is very quick. I've never had one of these before, so I'm not sure as to the coloration of a young one. Mine is mostly black with a hint of orange on the abdomen.

So... Usambara?

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It could be a King Baboon. The Adults are a deep orangeish color. I'm sure if you giot an Usambara, it would say Usambara on it. Only time will tell what speciific Baboon you have.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendnwngs
Congrats!

I too, am feeling the need to get another 8 legged friend.

The tally so far in the house: 1 Ball Python, 1 G. Rosea, 40+ fish of various kinds (Mostly Convict Cichlids) 3 Cockatiels, 1 Lovebird, and 1 Sun conure (Hes still in the egg)

My wife and I have no children, we just love animals. Its time to get another T. :)

-Jason
I think you need more Arachnids. ;) I used to raise fish a long time ago. But I just hated cleaning their tanks so I sold them to the local petshop. I think I'll stick with Arachnids and Cats now. No more rats, Guinea Pigs, or Ferrets. At least Arachnids don't stink up the place like most mammalian pets do. I can deal with cats but Rodents are getting to be a handful. Funny thing is that one of my friends said something to me I thought I'd never here him say. He told me I should get rid of my rats and use their tank for more Spiders. I can't believe he said that to me! :eek:

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The vial may very well have, at one point, said "Usambara" above "Baboon", but ti's smudged out right now. I was thinking that it might be a King, but the mussed word it is way too long.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
At a pet store!!!!????

OBT's at the pet store? I'd tell the manager that those are not exactly the nicest spiders to sell to the uninformed public. Good thing you got it. Pet stores are accidents waiting to happen.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you have an Usambara, you won't be disappointed once it matures. My little Juvie is a nice, bright, orange color. The poor thing is still a little traumatized though. She's just clinging to the side of her new enclosure. I'm sure within a week's time she'll be used to it by then like my new T's I received last weekend. And then once she's used to her new surroundings, I'll have a spunky little Orange Bitey Thing. Or maybe not. My Cobalt Luci has proven to be a very laid back tarantula and not the raving, mad, aggressive arachnid she's been made out to be.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: At a pet store!!!!????

Originally posted by D-Man
OBT's at the pet store? I'd tell the manager that those are not exactly the nicest spiders to sell to the uninformed public. Good thing you got it. Pet stores are accidents waiting to happen.
Yeah. Well I kind of mentioned my desire for an Usambara last week. And I guess that Juvie was meant for me eh? ;) I just had to snatch it up.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I've seen usambara's at quite a few shops now...

Bill

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
I've seen usambara's at quite a few shops now...

Bill
All those fancy, colorful T's are very rare up here where I live. The Petstore owner told me I've gotten her into Tarantulas and she's been buying alot of T's now. I just hope the Usambara's reputation is a little overblown. So far I've been raising aggressive spiders I was told would bite my head off but they've been more mellow than most of my New World Tarantulas.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey good job on the OBt aquisition. drove up to LLLReptile in escondido and picked up another. very cool species.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
OBT's at the pet store?
My Cobalt and my Usumbara both came from my local pet store. They were labeled "not a beginner's species" in huge block letters. I thought it was kind of cool that they had them there, as I had been talking with the owner a few weeks before that about how much I wanted them. When I bought them she just gave me a big smile and said she knew I wouldn't be able to resist. I'm referred to as "the spider girl" at that store.

Leanne

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
hey good job on the OBt aquisition. drove up to LLLReptile in escondido and picked up another. very cool species.
I'm just hoping Tang turns out to be just like my supposedly posessed Cobalt Blue. So far I have experienced nothing horribly bad with my so called aggressive Old World Tarantulas. If anything I've been threatened more by my docile Tarantulas.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
My Cobalt and my Usumbara both came from my local pet store. They were labeled "not a beginner's species" in huge block letters. I thought it was kind of cool that they had them there, as I had been talking with the owner a few weeks before that about how much I wanted them. When I bought them she just gave me a big smile and said she knew I wouldn't be able to resist. I'm referred to as "the spider girl" at that store.

Leanne
I think the man that owns the local petstore thinks that my sanity has totally left me. First the Cobalt Blue and now the OBT. :D

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Hey Action Jackson...
Pretty sure you got an Usambara. I just got a versicolor from Kelly yesterday and the freebie was an Usambara...
Congrats!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was able to get a good look at the Usambara I purchased today. It seems to have a missing leg. But I'm not too worried since it's a tiny Juvie. By the next molt or so it should have the leg regenerated by the time it reaches adulthood.

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A. Urticans Sling came from swift with only 7 legs. He doesn't seem to mind at all. In fact, it gives him character. I know he will get it back when he molts. He's my favorite, and I will be kinda sad when he gets it back and he is "normal" again. LOL But I will also be happy that his disability is a thing of the past.

Gotta love em!

Ali

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
There's a store down in Jax that has an aquarium labeled "Orange Starburst Baboon" and it has a cork hollow log in it. I've been to the store many times, but never have seen the spider. I asked the employee if he'd ever seen it and he said nope, never seen it, but I'm sure its in there somewhere. They are selling the whole setup and not just the spider as they don't want to stick their arms in the cage.:D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
I was able to get a good look at the Usambara I purchased today. It seems to have a missing leg. But I'm not too worried since it's a tiny Juvie. By the next molt or so it should have the leg regenerated by the time it reaches adulthood.
Don't worry about the missing leg, my 1.5" (at the time) Mombasa Golden Starburst was missing one of his front legs and it regenerated when he moulted a couple of weeks ago.

It was all limp and crappy at first, he was dragging it around like a dead limb. After a few hours though it had hardened up nicely and works like a normal leg. It's a bit skinnier and darker than his other legs though

In the above pic you can see it all folded up underneath him.
Works fine now though.