I caught a new scorp near Seattle, questions as usual

samantha

Arachnopeon
I recently caught a much larger scorpion near Seattle. It is definitely the same species (northern scorpion), but significantly darker & shinier and far more aggressive / far less bashful. It never hesitates to eat any cricket i drop in, even under bright lights right after being disturbed. It is pretty fat in appearance, but i honestly don't know how it squeezes those crickets in.

Now for the questions:

How many (small) crickets is too many in one week?

Is it OK to feed them just crickets?

Do these things poop or what? I haven't seen anything.

If I can't put them together how are they going to breed?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How many small crickets is too many in one week?
I usually recomend feeding them randomly and I heard that obesity can be bad for the scorpion. I cant say 100 percent sure on it but I'd recomend 3-4 crix depending on size

Is it okay to feed them just crickets?
Yes, but roaches are less smelly

Do these things poop or what?
Yes, the last segment before the telson is the anus. It looks like a little slit and sometimes you'll see white stuff around their tails...POOP

If I can't put them together how are they going to breed?
First of all I dont know what species it is. Most scorpions can be kept comunaly as long as they are well fed. If these CAN NOT be kept comunally you need to make sure you have a mature male and a mature female. Then you can feed them and put them together making sure there is a flat surface and hope they mate.
-Eddy

p.s: PICS?

samantha

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the speedy input! Here are the best pics my iphone can take. It's actually a very good camera except for close-ups dangit.

BTW: I also "caught" a pseudoscorpion sneaking around my tent on the same camping trip! (Horned toad too!)

I'm thinking about releasing my other northern scorp. Looks the same except much lighter and a little smaller. They were both a pain in the butt to find, so I'm not sure it's right for me to be collecting them. I also had a tiny one that died, I hate to admit.

Last edited:

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
on a side note, like you said, the iPhone has a GREAT camera, but the closeups always suck on it since it lacks a zoom feature.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hope you didn't collect the horned toad...
Anyways great find on the psudoscorpion. And I cant really tell you with certainty what scorp that is but I'll see if I can find out for you. I think it would be great to keep if you are thinking of realising it I'll take it off your hands or maybe trade you for a more begginer scorp. PM if your interested.
-Eddy

samantha

Arachnopeon
No, didn't keep the HT, felt guilty enough imprisoning an invert (even crickets!). Wouldn't know where to start anyway.

what is an example of a more beginner scorp?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
did you collect this scorp actually "near seattle" as in immediately around the seattle area, or was it on the east side of the cascades?? or was it down near the oregon border??

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, didn't keep the HT, felt guilty enough imprisoning an invert (even crickets!). Wouldn't know where to start anyway.

what is an example of a more beginner scorp?
Flatrock H. paucidens and Asian forest scorpion H. longimanus.

samantha

Arachnopeon
did you collect this scorp actually "near seattle" as in immediately around the seattle area, or was it on the east side of the cascades?? or was it down near the oregon border??
I caught in the eastern Cascade foothills near Cle Elum. However, it is very scarcely known that western Washington harbors an extremely rare and very large species whose name i cannot remember. The color (brown) and size of this scorp, especially now that it has stuffed itself full of crickets, has made me wonder a couple of times...

BTW, I know I already asked, but should I stop feeding it considering how stuffed it looks? This scorp looks like it's about to burst.