I can't get my A. Avic out of the enclosure.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
I currently feel like the worst T owner in the world. My A. Avicularia's enclosure is incredibly dirty. There's poop all over all of the walls and I have never been able to spot any boluses (because I'm the worst T owner in the world) except for one yesterday. When I picked the bolus out, it had little black insects that I can only assume were mites crawling on it. So I decided to dump out and replace the substrate. Since, then I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get the Avic out of the container.

First of all, I should say that my Avic is not docile. She unfailingly attacks the paintbrush whenever it touches her, which makes me freak out (because I'm the worst T owner in the world) and back off. She wont run, she always attacks, so herding her anywhere doesn't work.

I can't get a cup over her and move her that way, because she sticks to the corner so I can't make a seal around her.

I'm not comfortable using the "bottle" technique because that would leave too much room for the T to run around the bottle and escape. And I can't even cope with the idea of my T escaping. I am 100% positive that if that happened, I would injure her some way while trying to recapture her (because I'm the worst T owner in the world).

I'm even less comfortable with the "bag" technique. The bag technique requires manipulating the T outside of a solid structure. I'm always stripping screws and over-tightening jar lids. I'm incredibly clumsy and terrible at delicate procedures. I am sure that without the protection of a solid enclosure, I would damage the Avic (because I'm the worst T owner in the world).

I am so terrified of hurting the T that I can't do anything.

Last edited:

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get a really big enclosure and stick the entire old enclosure into the new one with the lid off. Wait.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
What size and type of container is your T in right now? Don't insult your abilities too much. Everything happens through experience and learning.

Sometimes the idea is to trick the T. Remember that Avic's like to move to safety by going up. If it is already in the top of the container it isn't going to come down if it feels unsafe. Most T's are going to be active when it is dark. Get yourself a small red flashlight so you can watch it from a distance. If your T isn't in Premolt it is going to want to go get food and water away from that corner. If you can figure out how to attach your current container to another target container you might be able to trick it without using force. This can be done directly by using a temporary location where you can then use the cup method to then move it to the new home.

The 32 oz deli cups can be attached to a bigger container nicely using painters tape. If you are using a small AMAC you can literally put the small AMAC inside a larger AMAC container. I keep a couple empty AMAC containers for this sole purpose. I have taped two AMACs together temporarily to move the T from empty AMAC into the one with the plastic plants and cork.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can't offer you my help because you are 'the worst T owner of the world' to the point that, if someone will ever create a championship for that, you will arrive second. Why? Simple. Because 'you are the worst T owner of the world' :troll:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm joking of course :angelic: you shouldn't be so severe with yourself, like Jeff23 said. Post a picture of your set up, enclosure, substrate in detail etc if you can, this can help.

As far moving T's is concerned, I always used the same method in 25 years, I directly cup them and then I put a piece of solid cardboard under. Just wait when your 'Avic' isn't in a "weird" position. Then open the enclosure, gently, and cup her. Don't let the fear prevail, you wouldn't harm her if the 'container' you will use is big enough.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Put everything inside the bathtub. Plug up all the drains and move everything out of the way. All the shampoo containers and everything that you could possibly knock over when you're doing the rehouse. Tie up the shower curtain or close part of the door if it is solid. Take a deep breath. Don't wear any clothing that could constrict your movements or result in the tarantula getting inside it - long loose sleeves and whatnot. Carefully try to coax them into a position where you can cup them. Remember to breathe, but not directly onto the tarantula. Be prepared for them to bolt. All you need is for them to be in a position where you can cup them. Have your catch cup ready - one that is big enough so that you don't squash any legs. They will stop running at one point. You need to limit the area that they can run to so that you can cup them safely when they stop running. Slide a stiff piece of paper under the cup. Remember to breathe. They are far more afraid of you than you are of them - even though you don't think so right now.
While they are cupped in the bathtub, do what you have to do to the enclosure there and then and leave them where you have cupped them. After you are finished, lift the cup with the tarantula inside and put everything back into the enclosure.
I'm getting anxious just thinking about it, so please understand that you are not alone and people empathize with you.
This is what I would do if I were in your position. Some other people will suggest other ways of doing this. Wait until everyone weighs in and then choose the best method for you, the one that you feel most comfortable with. You don't need to do this immediately. A couple of days will probably not make that much of a difference. Watch some YouTube videos on how people rehouse and see their technique as well. The trick is not to do this in a hurry and use a method that you are comfortable with.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I actually finally managed to do it.

I put a piece of bark back into the enclosure (the Avic prefers to climb on bark vs glass) and eventually she climbed up onto it. Then I moved the piece of bark with the T on it into the temporary enclosure while I cleaned the main one, and moved it back when I was done.

Sorry for posting in such a panic. I was really stressed out when I made the OP.

Here's the Avicularia back in her home.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
See, you did good.And she will forgive you ,sooner than you will forgive yourself.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I actually finally managed to do it.

I put a piece of bark back into the enclosure (the Avic prefers to climb on bark vs glass) and eventually she climbed up onto it. Then I moved the piece of bark with the T on it into the temporary enclosure while I cleaned the main one, and moved it back when I was done.

Sorry for posting in such a panic. I was really stressed out when I made the OP.

Here's the Avicularia back in her home.
Glad you made it through the rehousing. My son has an a avic. I'm very new to the hobby but from everything that I've read,almost all from here, you should put at least one good size fake plant in the enclosure or more if there is room. think this will make it feel more at home. if im wrong my apologies

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Glad you made it through the rehousing. My son has an a avic. I'm very new to the hobby but from everything that I've read,almost all from here, you should put at least one good size fake plant in the enclosure or more if there is room. think this will make it feel more at home. if im wrong my apologies
I actually agree. Shortly after taking the last picture I added this bird perch hanging in the middle of the enclosure.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I actually agree. Shortly after taking the last picture I added this bird perch hanging in the middle of the enclosure.
I really like that! I would add something green and leafy around that with the perch in the middle. would probably make a great web

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's a bit too barren in that container. Needs some plastic plants middle to top of container. Nice to see someone w/a dish!

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I really like that! I would add something green and leafy around that with the perch in the middle. would probably make a great web

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
On the topic of adding plastic plants... There are several pet supply companies that make plastic plants for reptile terrariums that come in flexible strings. You can cut them to whatever size you need and hot glue it to the bird perch and cork bark. I recently did this with my A. genic to add a natural look to its terrestrial enclosure.

I think I found it on ebay but the plastic plants I used came in strings of about 14 inches which was plenty for me.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
On the topic of adding plastic plants... There are several pet supply companies that make plastic plants for reptile terrariums that come in flexible strings. You can cut them to whatever size you need and hot glue it to the bird perch and cork bark. I recently did this with my A. genic to add a natural look to its terrestrial enclosure.

I think I found it on ebay but the plastic plants I used came in strings of about 14 inches which was plenty for me.
Hobby Lobby has a couple nice choices that are this way. The branches have sockets on the limbs so you can remove branches

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here is one of my Avic setups. Leaves on all sides for good webbing points. Corkbark for a stable base to move on.