I can't decide, SA giants

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Hello all

Well my seller about to hand over a mated female S. "galapagoensis" is just about to reject the deal because she's in No good condition and that's a lot of money we're talking about. Fair enough, this gives me the opprotunity to buy a pair.

Now i sit here for hours and can't choose between a pair of S. galapagoensis or S. gigantea sp. white legs.

Of course size does matter aswell!

My +/- list so far:

S. galapagoensis
Appears very thick
Nice colouration
More tolerant to humidity

S. gigantea white legs
I realy like my dehaani yellow legs, No need to handle them but the agility and the contrast body-legs is just hypnotizing. Is a gigantea more agile than a galapa when it comes to hunting?
Rare offered here
The redish tone is nice, do they keep it as adults?

I am greatful to any shared, first hand expiriences. I read a lot of threads but you know, there is a galapagoensis as large as a bus out there, just the evidence got missing.

Thanks in advance!

Taffy

Arachnoknight
Hello all

Well my seller about to hand over a mated female S. "galapagoensis" is just about to reject the deal because she's in No good condition and that's a lot of money we're talking about. Fair enough, this gives me the opprotunity to buy a pair.

Now i sit here for hours and can't choose between a pair of S. galapagoensis or S. gigantea sp. white legs.

Of course size does matter aswell!

My +/- list so far:

S. galapagoensis
Appears very thick
Nice colouration
More tolerant to humidity

S. gigantea white legs
I realy like my dehaani yellow legs, No need to handle them but the agility and the contrast body-legs is just hypnotizing. Is a gigantea more agile than a galapa when it comes to hunting?
Rare offered here
The redish tone is nice, do they keep it as adults?

I am greatful to any shared, first hand expiriences. I read a lot of threads but you know, there is a galapagoensis as large as a bus out there, just the evidence got missing.

Thanks in advance!
white leg and galap are the same in agility, both get around the same size and both have insane appetites. they’re basically the exact same minus husbandry and their appearance.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Sounds like you're leaning towards the galapagoensis. Whichever you choose will be great.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Sounds like you're leaning towards the galapagoensis. Whichever you choose will be great.
Possibly, i was just about to get a galapagoensis and convinced myself i did the right choice 😁.
The fact they are so similar doesn't make it any easier, they both look stunning.

Guess i make a bet and choose based on the outcome....thanks anyways.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Possibly, i was just about to get a galapagoensis and convinced myself i did the right choice 😁.
The fact they are so similar doesn't make it any easier, they both look stunning.

Guess i make a bet and choose based on the outcome....thanks anyways.
You can't go wrong with either really, and likely you might end up getting both types eventually.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Doesn't the female galapagoensis self sacrifice for the brood, allowing her plings to consume her for the best start to life, or do all SA giants have this natural history? If it's only galapagoensis, then I'd probably lean towards the white legs.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Doesn't the female galapagoensis self sacrifice for the brood, allowing her plings to consume her for the best start to life, or do all SA giants have this natural history? If it's only galapagoensis, then I'd probably lean towards the white legs.
Not provided by personal expirience (obviously) they all do to what i read.

Since the clutch can be up to 90plings, that's a fair deal. I try to breed whatever i can to support the hobby so I personally am fine with it.
Everybody not willing to can just get a male. Lifespan should be +/- the same.

Feel free to correct me If i'm wrong.

What do is a plus for the White legs is, what i've seen next to a ruler, that they are more likely to end up around 35cm.
This point is just invalidated by the fact that there is a wide gap of final length in all SA giants. However, 30cm+ is fine (should be 12 Inches).

Regards

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Not provided by personal expirience (obviously) they all do to what i read.
You're correct, just fell down a Scolopendra rabbit hole lol. I just remembered reading a thread that documented matriphagy specifically for galapagoensis at one point in time. I'm still a pede neophyte.

Since the clutch can be up to 90plings, that's a fair deal. I try to breed whatever i can to support the hobby so I personally am fine with it.
Agreed. Most species I get nowadays are for breeding projects and even a 50 pling brood would be fair IMO. Outside of a failed attempt with dehaani though, I've never really jumped into Scolopendra much less the actual giants. Best of luck with your attempt though. The hobby could always use more ;) .

ForTW

Arachnobaron
What size are you planning to get?
The female i was just about to get was 30cm+. It's genetics but a small individual is still able to have large offsprings.

Outside of a failed attempt with dehaani though, I've never really jumped into Scolopendra much less the actual giants.
Failing happens to the best, especially If there is no proper caresheet around and even those can be just bad 😁. Good choice, dehaani is cheap and as long as you're prepared for a fast, impulsive centipede, why not. I really like em, mine climbs a lot, that's just a pleasure to watch!

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
The female i was just about to get was 30cm+. It's genetics but a small individual is still able to have large offsprings.
30cm+ sounds unlikely but maybe they're including the terminal legs in the measurement. Either ways, that's an adult and due to life expectancy may not be long lived. But if you're going to try to breed her right away then that makes sense.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
So a pair of sp. white legs is what i got.

By now, my scolopendra dehaani is longer (measured by eye) but those might be sub adult and not matured yet, we'll see.

The fertile female galapagoensis died just recently. The seller's observations were right. Poor guy, could've been me. Props to him, seems to be a fair guy!

IMG_20221021_235805.jpg

After all i feel very happy and will make Sure they will have a good time. (Price was nice, shipment went flawless, they are sexed by expirienced importers and i can't wait to put them on dark substrate (the finalized enclosure are at my ex GF's place and they have to wait for a day till i can pick those up)).