I bought a "Black Velvet". I wonder what it is...

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm having trouble identifying my new purchase. It was labled as a Black Velvet. Can anyone tell me the latin names of other species also referred to as Black Velvet?

I'm thinking that it may be a B.vagans. It's a black terrestrial with long red abdomenal hairs over short black ones. I'll try to get a nice picture after work tonight.

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is this your critter?

It's the only one that I can find called "Black velvet" on the net.
The gallery here on Arachnopets.com is the first thing that comes up on Google and calls it "Acanthoscurria musculosa".

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
While we're on the subject of Acanthoscurria musculosa, I've seen this species listed as docile. For those of you who have worked w/ them, can you really consider this species "docile"?

Bry

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK, here's a photo. I think it's a B.vagans.

This T is SO docile! I'm really amazed. It makes my G.rosea look like a psycho. It's a little skittish but not defensive in the slightest.

So, would anyone like to confirm it's identity?

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, it looks like a B. vagans. I've seen them listed as Mexican Black Velvet before. You're right they are a calm species, slightly skittish but not aggressive in the least.

Andy

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I can't believe how docile this T is!!!

My others go flicky and "defensive" when disturbed, but this one just goes passive. She's the perfect demonstration T. Completely relaxed on the hand, no bursts of speed, no flicking, no leg waving, just calm, gentle movement. I'd swear she actually like to be held (if I didn't know better).

I'm going to use her for a little talk to my daughter's class next week. She's 7 and they're studying inverts this term. I'll take in a mature leaf insect for a warm up, a mature smithi in a tank for looks and the vagans for a handling finale.