I am worried for my Flinders Ranges Scorpion

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a young Urodacus elongatus. I set up an enclosure for her with red central Australian desert sand and sphagnum moss. There is a section in the enclosure where she can hide under the ground which is closer to the heat mat. I placed her in the enclosure two days ago. When night came she explored the enclosure then discovered the hole. I have misted the enclosure accordingly, and have also introduced a small water dish filled with wet sphagnum moss. She has eaten two crickets, both of which wandered into the hole but since I haven't been able to observe her at night I am assuming that she has not left the hole. There is no moisture in the hole and in the darkness she attempts to climb the glass walls of the enclosure, and multiple times now I have seen her nearing the entrance of the hole but never exiting it. Should I be worried for my scorpion's wellbeing? She sometimes just extends her claws and reaches into the air and touches the roof of the cave, and wanders around like this, circling the cave until she returns to her usual spot. Please Help!

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's fine, scorpions generally stay in or near their burrow for safety. :) She's just exploring her environment.

If she doesnt eat the crickets, just be sure to remove them.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Sounds like she/he is just exploring and getting settled in.

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
There is also a 1V heat mat underneath the cave area, she seems fine with this though.

Soulhavok

Arachnopeon
Howdy.

I own two of this breed a mum and daughter and I live in Qld. I'm guessing you have the reptile one desert setup tank that comes with a heat pad.

This tank looks great but unfortunately is not practical. The cave is a space that in the wild a scorpion will go to avoid the heat.

I took the resin base out and filled the tank up with a few inches of desert sand and moss in just one corner and I'm have better luck with my scorpions these days as the extra heat in the cave could upset the scorpion.

The desert gets cold a lot colder then your house will so you may even need the heat pad in a set up at all.

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
Howdy.

I own two of this breed a mum and daughter and I live in Qld. I'm guessing you have the reptile one desert setup tank that comes with a heat pad.

This tank looks great but unfortunately is not practical. The cave is a space that in the wild a scorpion will go to avoid the heat.

I took the resin base out and filled the tank up with a few inches of desert sand and moss in just one corner and I'm have better luck with my scorpions these days as the extra heat in the cave could upset the scorpion.

The desert gets cold a lot colder then your house will so you may even need the heat pad in a set up at all.
Yes, this is the tank that I have. The scorpion seems to be doing fine, however the resin base cave area is extremely hard to clean. She seems to sleep in the area during the day and become active and roam around the desert area during the dead of night. Should I be concerned that the cave is acting as the heatspot and that she stays above ground to avoid the heat/hydrate?

Soulhavok

Arachnopeon
IMG_0197.JPG Yeah that resin base was painful to clean which was another reason why I got rid of it.

Depending on the temperature of the house you live in the best way to make sure heat spots don't happen is to avoid heat pads in small tanks. However the pad you have is tiny and they don't produce much heat. I found that the bigger the scorpion the more likely it will wander around.
The picture above is how I have my setup. She was chasing crickets in the daytime for a change of pace otherwise she sits in her small cave until night time

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
Yes, this is the tank that I have. The scorpion seems to be doing fine, however the resin base cave area is extremely hard to clean. She seems to sleep in the area during the day and become active and roam around the desert area during the dead of night. Should I be concerned that the cave is acting as the heatspot and that she stays above ground to avoid the heat/hydrate?
Wow, you have a very nice looking scorpion! I see what you mean by having the sand without resin. I'll watch her condition for the next few months and if anything odd happens I'll renovate her enclosure. Thanks for the advice!