I am worried about my Poecilotheria Metallica. Please help!

SpiderLover24

Arachnopeon
Alright, so I have a Poecilotheria Metallica, as my thread name entails. I want to know if anything is wrong with her. Bear in mind i am a relatively new owner.

So - although i am aware that these spiders can go for long periods of time without eating, how long will they wait? My spiders abdomen has shrunk considerably and is starting to take on what i fear is a wilted appearance. She has water that is changed regularily. It has been about a month and a half since she last ate. I have been trying to feed her super worms and crickets. She has also been more active lately, climbing all around her cage, and i fear she is looking for food. I also dont know how often spiders fall when they are climbing the sides of glass enclosures, but I have never seen her lose her grip and fall repeatedly as I have the last few days. I fear she might be weak!

Are my fears warranted? Please let me know. I would be greatful for any responses.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Can you get pictures of her and the enclosure? A shrinking and wrinkled abdomen is very unlikely to happen in a month and a half, and if it is happening, I'd suspect an injury causing hemolymph loss. The fact that she's climbing and falling a lot increases the likelihood of an injury.

How big is she? How are you keeping her?

SpiderLover24

Arachnopeon
20200323_084332.jpg 20200323_084215.jpg

The pictures dont exactly do what im talking about justice. Ill try and take some more when she comes back to the front of her cage again. Shes always been relatively small since ive gotten her, but right now her head is probably about double the size of her abdomen. About a few months ago they were just about equal size. Her body is roughly and inch by an inch - shes very leggy.

20200323_084332.jpg 20200323_084215.jpg

The pictures dont exactly show what im talking about justice. Ill try and take some more when she comes back to the front of her cage again. Shes always been relatively small since ive gotten her, but right now her head is probably about double the size of her abdomen. About a few months ago they were just about equal size. Her body is roughly and inch by an inch - shes very leggy.

Is it normal for a tarantula to be falling a lot?

I know its probably time to clean her terrarium

SpiderLover24

Arachnopeon
Roughly 2 feet by 2 feet cubed. Quite small. I inherited it that way. I plan to get her a new one as soon as the quarantine is over

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
What's the legspan of this T, and where did you get it? Last time it molted, if it's done so in your care?

I may be wrong, but that almost looks to me like a mature male. If that's the case, everything you're seeing would be normal behavior for a mature male as he approaches the end of his natural lifespan.

Last edited:

SpiderLover24

Arachnopeon
I have never had it molt in my care. It was handed down to me by a neighbour, though they told me it was a female cobalt blue. I have since of course learned that it is a blue saphire / gooty ornamental - so it very well could be a male. Its legspan is about 7 inches, maybe a bit more. I would say 2 inches and a bit for a single leg. My god this is horrible! Two legitimate theories being injury or near death! Its been such a calm spider :(

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That is a mature male P. metallica and by the description your giving it, I would say it's getting old.

SpiderLover24

Arachnopeon
😮😮😩. Is there any way to accurately tell how much time is left in its lifespan from this activity?

ramalho

Arachnopeon
I know old post... justwondering the outcome looks like mature male to me