I am NOT the father

Clinton

Arachnopeon
Almost a year ago, I had went to a reptile show in San Jose, Ca and bought some Emps. Not I had been buying small to medium size ones, but have not had great success in being able to keep them alive over a long period of time. While there, I decided to buy the biggest one that the vendor had.

Well, I have kept this one alone the entire time because of it's size even though I know that it would of been fine with the smaller ones. The other day I happen to look into the cage and Emp was in it's cave and I thought that I saw a cricket on it's back. I grabbed my camera, and took a picture. When I looked a the picture I realized that it wasn't a cricket, and I jumped up scared that it something worse. I lifted the cage and was surprised to see a baby emp. I had bought a gravid emp. I had noticed it out of the cave a few minutes ago and she had 3 on her back.

Now when I got into having scorpions as pets, I had no plan on breeding them, so I never really got into the learning what care for them. I would like to avoid losing any, so is there any advice you could give me.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just leave her alone for awhile cus I'm sure she will have more than 3 babies. Once she is done giving birth the babies will stay on her back tell there ready to come off.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol, same thing happened to me recently, I bought a large emperor for a friend and she called me 3 days ago saying that it had babies, so she doesn't want them and I'm getting 15 emperor scorplings.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The scorplings will climb on to the mother's back and stay there until they molt (roughly 7-10 days). Once they molt and harden up they may start venture away from the mother and can be separated from her at that point or anytime after. Until they've hit that first molt the best thing to do is nothing. There is no need to feed her or the babies yet but if you do decide to offer mom a snack you should pre kill the prey.

Once the scorplings hit 2I care for them the same way you would an adult.

You don't need to separate them after the first molt either. They will do just fine hanging out with Mom. To separate I found it much easier to remove the mother and then take the scorplings out one by one. I'd recommend using a black light when you do 'cause they can be hard to spot and can hide in the smallest little cracks and crevices.

Enjoy your new kids :)

Clinton

Arachnopeon
Thanks all. I am going to just leave her alone as you all have said. I had just lost my Flat Rock Scorpion a few days before the birth, and with having to wait it will give me time to clean out the cage it was in and get it setup for the children.

Yeah,the title came from The Maury Show