I am going to help out prospective hobbyists a little bit

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
There are threads out there like this already, but i've only seen top five or top ten beginner species threads out there on the rest of the forum, well i am going to do a top 20 list of tarantulas for beginners (with wild card/alternates). Also i tend to see the topic "what would be a good first tarantula" pop up a few times a month. I just decided that I would make a thread that could be good reference for beginners, so here it goes:

1. Euathlus Sp. red
2. Brachypelma albopilosum (Hobby and Nicaragua)
3. Eupalaestrus campestratus
4. Brachypelma hamorii
5. Grammostola pulchra
6. Grammostola pulchripes
7. Brachypelma emilia
8. Euathlus Sp. Yellow
9. Phrixotrichus scrofa (likely butchered the spelling)
10. Brachypelma auratum
11. Aphonopelma chalcodes
12. Brachypelma schroederi
13. Chromatopelma cyaneopeubescens (aka GBB)
14. Lasiadora parahybana
15. Brachypelma baumgarteni
16. Brachypelma boehmei
17. Aphonopelma hentzi
18. Thrixopelma cyaneolum (quite rare snd stunning)
19. Brachypelma vagans
20. Brachypelma sabulosum (i put this one here hesitantly as mine are evil)

Wild card/alternates

1. Acanthoscurria geniculsta

2. Caribena versicolor (care may be tricky at the start but there is a thread created by @Venom1080 that will point you in the right direction)

3. Nhandu chromatus (easy to care for but can be feisty)

4. Kochiana brunnipes

5. Aphonopelma seemani (they are not always what some claim they are)

Note: this is in no particular order. This is not to be intended to be a care thread, as several have already been made, many within the past year or two. I may hve missed some, but there are just so many great options out there for a first tarantula that it would take me all night to list all of them.

cold blood

Staff member
I'd move #18 all the way up to the #1 slot...IMO there is no better if you have access to the species...availability is the only downfall....I also think #6 deserves to be even higher.

Nice list though for sure.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Haha, I looked at your profile page to see if those were the 25 tarantulas you owned. That’s a pretty good list. A few I might pull off and a few I’d add, but I think every poster here would say the same thing.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I like the list ... only mention the Gbb could be a little quick for some beginners,,,, tho mine is laid back

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I do think I may make changes to the list in the future (More in depth with a small summary of all the species). I may also do another list for the next step on the ladder in a few weeks.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Haha, I looked at your profile page to see if those were the 25 tarantulas you owned. That’s a pretty good list. A few I might pull off and a few I’d add, but I think every poster here would say the same thing.
My profile is out dated, my newer photo thread is the best way to get the up to date list of what I have. Though not all are pictured.