I am getting a T! (I think.)

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Today, me and my parents are gonna look at the spider shop and at a g. pulchripes sling. What should I prepare for? I'm so excited!

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Today, me and my parents are gonna look at the spider shop and at a g. pulchripes sling. What should I prepare for? I'm so excited!
It all depends on the size of the sling. Most people house slings in small deli cups or condiment cups with holes poked in the side for some cross ventilation and a small hide. As for feeders I'm sure most people feed prekilled locust/crickets or something similar to that

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Congrats :D Quick rundown. Your enclosure should look something like this. A hide and a water dish, that's all you need. There shouldn't be more than two inches from the top of the substrate to the lid. Since you're going to the store, here are things you don't need to buy: heat mat, humidifier, thermometer, sponge for the water dish, or an absurdly large enclosure.

IMG_1674.JPG
(ignore the dirty water dish... it was replaced last night, this one is just a pig)

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Congrats :D Quick rundown. Your enclosure should look something like this. A hide and a water dish, that's all you need. There shouldn't be more than two inches from the top of the substrate to the lid. Since you're going to the store, here are things you don't need to buy: heat mat, humidifier, thermometer, sponge for the water dish, or an absurdly large enclosure.

View attachment 231568
(ignore the dirty water dish... it was replaced last night, this one is just a pig)
the sling is 1cm though

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
the sling is 1cm though
This is where we might be getting lost in translation. There are two ways to measure a spider - diagonal leg span (dls) and body length. Diagonal leg span measure from the tip of the front left foot to the tip of the back right foot. Body length measures the distance from the fangs to the spinnerets. We'd need to know which one you mean to better help you.

But that enclosure applies whether it's a 1" sling or an 8" adult. No more than 2x dls from substrate to lid, about 3x dls long, and about 2x dls wide. Slings as small as what you're talking can be kept in a deli cup, but G. pulchripes grows quite quickly. It won't be in a deli cup for long.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
This is where we might be getting lost in translation. There are two ways to measure a spider - diagonal leg span (dls) and body length. Diagonal leg span measure from the tip of the front left foot to the tip of the back right foot. Body length measures the distance from the fangs to the spinnerets. We'd need to know which one you mean to better help you.

But that enclosure applies whether it's a 1" sling or an 8" adult. No more than 2x dls from substrate to lid, about 3x dls long, and about 2x dls wide. Slings as small as what you're talking can be kept in a deli cup, but G. pulchripes grows quite quickly. It won't be in a deli cup for long.
oh ok.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Here's something to explain it a bit more in-depth. Tarantulas are easier to keep than houseplants, I'm not exaggerating at all. People make it complicated... don't make it complicated ;)

Again, that deals with a subadult, but the concepts still apply. The only thing I'd add for you is to offer more burrowing substrate, as there's a good chance that it will burrow.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

The measurements are in DLS.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/grammostola-pulcheripes-p-375.html#.WKNONm_hCM8

So @notanarachnophobe , the enclosure you keep it in should be at least 3 cm long and 2 cm wide. i think it should be 6 or 7 cm high, to leave room for burrowing and keep the distance between substrate and lid at 2cm. You can use a bottle cap as waterdish, and put a little fake leaf in as hide.
It might be handy if your parents read up on this as well, so they don't get confused and it will be easier to talk about care with them.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
While everyone is focused on the container, and I agree about that part, I think you need to prepare yourself to not worry about every little thing. After you properly set up the enclosure, leaving your sling alone is pretty important. They are very resilient. They don't need to eat every day. They can easily stand once an week, once every four days if you want to feed heavier. Don't stress it out by getting stressed because it didn't eat yesterday or for the last week.
Bottom line, read read read. The more you know ahead of time, the quicker the little things you see become normal.
When you see it upside down, leave it alone. It's normal. It's molting. Alright, enjoy!

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Folks....you all fail. You guys/gals should be telling him to prepare too.....bring a lot more slings home. Yeah I'm bored out of my mind.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Folks....you all fail. You guys/gals should be telling him to prepare too.....bring a lot more slings home. Yeah I'm bored out of my mind.
One step at a time grasshopper. One, his parents are buying it, meaning they can change their mind. If they read this and see his one new sling will turn into dozens of new slings, he may not get any slings.
Let the fascination of that first sling set in for a few minutes, before his fate is sealed and the onslaught of new T purchases takes over.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
One, his parents are buying it, meaning they can change their mind.
I over looked that part. It's fine....at his age he can still sulk and get the parents to buy T's left and right. Work it mah boy! Give up the video games for the T's!

cold blood

Staff member

This is how I keep terrestrial slings of that size...in fact this is a G. pulchripes sling of the same size as the one you hope to purchase (if the spider shop's sizing is accurate).

I don't give a hide or plants...the enclosure becomes its burrow essentially, this will keep it visible and feeding regularly, making for a faster growing sling that's easier to monitor.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I over looked that part. It's fine....at his age he can still sulk and get the parents to buy T's left and right. Work it mah boy! Give up the video games for the T's!
G. Pulchripes is only £6 a sling on TSS. I suggest this too. Keep twisting their arms my friend ahaha

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Slings as small as what you're talking can be kept in a deli cup, but G. pulchripes grows quite quickly. It won't be in a deli cup for long.
Yeah, I was dejunking a bit this week and found the still-labeled 2oz condiment cup that my G pulchripes 2nd instar started in just over 2+ years ago. He's been through 2 rehousings since those days -- a juvie enclosure, and now today? Today that T is in an adult enclosure - permanent home. (No, I'm not claiming mine is already full grown!) -- but just, nearing 4" and actually looking like a G pulchripes now.

Good luck OP -- I thoroughly enjoyed raising my G pulchripes from a sling....

Sana

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I was dejunking a bit this week and found the still-labeled 2oz condiment cup that my G pulchripes 2nd instar started in just over 2+ years ago. He's been through 2 rehousings since those days -- a juvie enclosure, and now today? Today that T is in an adult enclosure - permanent home. (No, I'm not claiming mine is already full grown!) -- but just, nearing 4" and actually looking like a G pulchripes now.

Good luck OP -- I thoroughly enjoyed raising my G pulchripes from a sling....
G. pulchripes really are a joy. Even as I've moved into more advanced species and a wider variety I still come back to my beautiful little G. pulchripes every time. I've loved raising him and I think I will always have at least one no matter how many places this hobby takes me.