I am entirely unprepared...

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
So I bought some spiders & apparently I wasn't really clear on how little this one is... I have it in the smallest enclosure I have, taped up the ventilation holes because I'm relatively certain it could squeeze through. Should I go smaller? Are pinhead lats too big? Should I offer pre kill only? Does this little one need a water dish? :anxious:

20170301_195614.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is what I house my A. musculosa sling in (the sling was 1cm when I got it and I thought this was better than a vial), as it's too small for a water dish I just put some sphagnum moss in one side and pipette a few drops of water onto that every few days, the sling drinks from that and uses it as a hide, I'd probably stick to pre-killed until it's big enough to tackle live prey.

Attachments

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Thanks, I only own juveniles & older, until now. This is frighteningly tiny! Kind of panic posted, doing some forum searches now. :sorry::D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yup, use a condiment cup and eventually upgrade to that enclosure.

Cut the lat in half and offer prekilled prey. The sling will scavenge!

(Edit due to typos, my god)

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks, I only own juveniles & older, until now. This is frighteningly tiny! Kind of panic posted, doing some forum searches now. :sorry::D
No worries, this is the 3rd sling I've owned that was that small, I used to be a bit sketchy about getting anything under 1" so when I got a 1cm N. chromatus sling as a freebie back in August I was terrified I'd kill the thing.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
No condiment containers, but I do have amber reagent jars which despite the lack of visibility will have to do for the moment.
20170301_205809.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thanks, I only own juveniles & older, until now. This is frighteningly tiny! Kind of panic posted, doing some forum searches now.
I was initially wary of getting slings, but now that I have them, I see it's not that hard. Just a little different from juveniles and adults.

I would offer a water dish if you can find one that fits in a smaller enclosure -- the sling is not going to drown. If not, when it's small enough to live in a condiment cup, dripping some water down the side is fine. If you're running the heater, be sure to stay on top of the moisture level in the container, as it may dry out more quickly than you expect.

I like to make a little puddle of water on the leaf in the center of my baby geniculata's container. Sometimes she drinks from it, but more often she attacks the water as I am adding it.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
That is definitely too big. You will lose track of the T's location too easily.

I use over-sized containers (either Hobby Lobby baseball case or 5.5 oz deli cup). And with them I have to use pre-kill and use over-sized cricket that I can break into a few pieces to insure the T always finds food. In my case I do this because I have to travel some on my job. If you keep it in over-sized I recommend that you also make some burrows along the side so you can try to keep up with its location.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
No condiment containers, but I do have amber reagent jars which despite the lack of visibility will have to do for the moment.
View attachment 232749
Does that have a snap-on or screw on lid? If you can't see the sling location before opening it that would be the only worry about that container. Size-wise it looks great.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Does that have a snap-on or screw on lid? If you can't see the sling location before opening it that would be the only worry about that container. Size-wise it looks great.
Screws on, opaque black top. Drilled a few holes in the top. Theoretically I imagine I could saw off the top & adhere some Plexiglass to it for better visibility. Probably easier to just go to GFS & buy a sleeve of condiment cups in the morning.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Explain....your profile says you live in the US....everyone has condiment containers.
Maybe y'all next door keep them in household stock for all the beer cheese you eat, but 'round here the only time you get them is with take-out. I haven't been washing & stocking them up because I wasn't planning on being a spider baby daddy just yet.

Step off, man. I'll buy the kid a proper crib in the morning, for now a laundry basket will have to do. :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
Maybe y'all next door keep them in household stock for all the beer cheese you eat, but 'round here the only time you get them is with take-out. I haven't been washing & stocking them up because I wasn't planning on being a spider baby daddy just yet.

Step off, man. I'll buy the kid a proper crib in the morning, for now a laundry basket will have to do. :rofl:
No, you can literally walk into any place that sells food and get one for free or for pennies.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
No, you can literally walk into any place that sells food and get one for free or for pennies.
I live thirty miles away from the nearest restaurant that's open after 5pm & we got dumped on. Delivery was canceled & I had to drive through a whiteout, bypass a highway that was shut down behind a FedEx truck being towed back to the depot to pick them up. Thankfully the seller packed it in a box labeled "harmless live reptiles" so the girls took them inside the office to keep them out of the cold.

I didn't know this, of course, so as soon as I gave them my address they said, "You're the guy with the live reptiles!" I just nodded & smiled as they retrieved the box while wracking my brain over what kind of reptiles I should tell them was in the box should they ask. For some reason the only thing that came to mind was "bearded dragon," but luckily they were as eager to get out of there as I was before the roads got any worse so they had me sign, I thanked them, then booked it out of there.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I live thirty miles away from the nearest restaurant that's open after 5pm & we got dumped on. Delivery was canceled & I had to drive through a whiteout, bypass a highway that was shut down behind a FedEx truck being towed back to the depot to pick them up. Thankfully the seller packed it in a box labeled "harmless live reptiles" so the girls took them inside the office to keep them out of the cold.

I didn't know this, of course, so as soon as I gave them my address they said, "You're the guy with the live reptiles!" I just nodded & smiled as they retrieved the box while wracking my brain over what kind of reptiles I should tell them was in the box should they ask. For some reason the only thing that came to mind was "bearded dragon," but luckily they were as eager to get out of there as I was before the roads got any worse so they had me sign, I thanked them, then booked it out of there.
Its the eight legged fanged lizard.

If you ever go in the area of a Walmart you can also buy a whole bag of them to cover you for the future. They should be in the picnic supplies with the plastic cups and paper plates.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon

Lol funny story, AND you got to talk to some good lookin girls? They liked you, I can tell XD