I am a Centipede owner.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And I'm as happy as a clam about it!

They arrived a few days ago and have settled in flawlessly. I have them on gravel right now. It's an experimental setup, but they seem to be thriving in it so far.

Everyone says pedes are nasty critters, but so far that fact dosn't hold up. I fear them alot less that my little B. vagans! Now that's a nasty critter! ;)

Here is the Ethmostigmus trigonopodus. He is five inches long at the moment, and very impressive.

I also got an Alipes sp. Great little animal, and it can HISS! Real loud! Talk about a bonus! Thanks for resisting the temptation to keep it for yourself, Amanda. :D

If anyone could peg down the exact species, that would be really cool.

-Tyrel-

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ha! My Alipes just did the strangest thing. She was cleaning her antennae, and then she picked up a pebble between her fangs! She moved it over about an inch and dropped it, and then continued cleaning! What the heck was that about? :rolleyes:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool pics

forgive me if im totally wrong as i know nothing about pedes, but wouldnt soil of some type be a better choice for substrait?

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool pics

forgive me if im totally wrong as i know nothing about pedes, but wouldnt soil of some type be a better choice for substrait?
I'll admit It's not a traditional setup, but keep in mind it's sort of experimental. If any problems arise I'll move them onto peat. Not that I expect any problems; I've seen a few centipedes kept on gravel that stayed very happy and healthy.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll admit It's not a traditional setup, but keep in mind it's sort of experimental. If any problems arise I'll move them onto peat. Not that I expect any problems; I've seen a few centipedes kept on gravel that stayed very happy and healthy.
ohhh, well good luck with them!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure if the gravel is actually a good idea. You can try it if you'd like I mean it is your centis, but if your going to do it make sure they have a hide(I can't see one in the pics, that's why I am saying this). Anyways, beautiful centipedes and good luck with them!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nice dude

re gravel... would make it impossible for pede to burrow. so, vis goes up... but at price of probably making it less likely to get young if mom captive hatches some. seems like when pedes are fully burrowed they are least likely to eat eggs.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not sure if the gravel is actually a good idea. You can try it if you'd like I mean it is your centis, but if your going to do it make sure they have a hide(I can't see one in the pics, that's why I am saying this). Anyways, beautiful centipedes and good luck with them!
They have a very secure hide. I cut a small door in a 4" plastic flowerpot dish. I faced the entrance towards the back corner, so it's always easy to find.

nice dude

re gravel... would make it impossible for pede to burrow. so, vis goes up... but at price of probably making it less likely to get young if mom captive hatches some. seems like when pedes are fully burrowed they are least likely to eat eggs.
Thanks for the advice Caco. I'm not planning to breed at this time, but if I ever decide to I'll probably give them somthing to burrow in.

If they do, on an off chance, ever lay any eggs on their own, I'll just leave them in their hides to and see what happens. If they eat them, I'll take note. If not, I'll have more pedes than I know what to do with!

Thanks for your concern everyone, I'm taking note. I'll still go ahead with the experiment and see what happens, and I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone have a species name for the Alipes? I haven't found any information on how to identify them.

Having a full name is so much more satisfying than just having a "sp." :D

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice pedes, tyrel..! :clap:
how big are they? E.t. "yellow leg"
my kids are between 9 ~ 11cm yet.
take care..

Last edited:

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice pedes, tyrel..! :clap:
how big are they?
The yellow leg is 5 inches long, while the Alipes is about 4 inches. The water dish in the photo is 4 inches across, so it gives a good size reference.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats Tyrel! I will warn you that the world of centipedes can be very addictive :) I have a tonne of species right now and I can't get enough of them! If you're planning on hitting the Arachnoparty this summer I would be glad to help you expand your collection :p
If you like the "Yellow Legs" I highly recommend picking up a "Blue Ring Legs"! I LOVE this species!
Do you mind me asking if the person you got them from is a breeder/dealer or another hobbiest? I love finding additional sources for these amazing critters!
I haven't kept any of my pedes on gravel... Let us know how it works out for you!
-Dave-

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Dave! I was wondering when you would show up! :D

Do you mind me asking if the person you got them from is a breeder/dealer or another hobbiest?
I got them from Tarantula Canada. Great service.

By the way, did you get those whipscorpions in yet?

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Dave! I was wondering when you would show up! :D

I got them from Tarantula Canada. Great service.

By the way, did you get those whipscorpions in yet?
I've been doing some regular cruising on the boards these days so I thought I'd jump in :p

Martin and Amanda are definitely great to deal with! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any Western sources to get new pedes from :)

I was hoping to get in the tailless whips yet because the source they were suppose to be coming from ran out :( I'll keep you posted though!

Enjoy the pedes!