I am a beginner and I think I made a BAD choice.

Will it be okay?

• Total voters

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
I’m new to the hobby, and I decided recently (a few days ago) to get a tarantula. Me, being the dumb person I am, decided I didn’t want to raise a tarantula (I regret this choice, don’t worry).

With that being said, I got some stuff for a tarantula. Now, I wanted a Salmon pink bird eater because of their habitat choice. My mom was going to get it for me, but I got impatient and was too nervous to order online.

Sooo, I went to Petco... yes, petco. I saw a zebra knee tarantula for $40 (adult I believe). I purchased this tarantula and took it home. Again, I’m really stupid. I thought it would “just be fine”. So I set it up with a hide and everything and bought everything required. I know I made a bad choice in substrate brand. I think I got something called “reptile soil” instead of getting ecoearth stuff.

Another thing, it has a mesh lid and no holes on the side, and she/he climbs up the wall at night and I’m scared it’s leg will get stuck. Also, I didn’t get but like 1 inch of substrate in the tank and some moss, an extra piece of cork bark, and a watering dish.

My tarantula is a very sweet girl/boy. She hasn’t eaten yet (we got really small crickets to raise), which I totally expected because they were constantly being fed at petco. Here’s the thing, she refuses to use the hide and just covers herself in moss. I assume this is because of the lack of PROPER substrate.

My mom said she’ll take me to get the right kind on this Tuesday. It’s not that I’m so worried about. I’m worried because I don’t know it’s gender, and if it’s matured and a male, that’s no good right? I heard about someone else who got the same tarantula from the same place; it didn’t live long. I’m really worried about him/her. I literally started crying because I just am really concerned. It’s more than a tarantula to me. I need help. It came with a care sheet (I didn’t bother to read it because it’s more likely to be inaccurate), but it’s not because I don’t know what I’m doing.

He/she does like running around at night (sometimes I wake up to it spilling its water and climbing up the sides) so I don’t think it’s really sick or anything, but I’m still concerned. I wanted to take it out and put it in a container while I fix it up, but I’m scared I’ll stress it out too much, even though she/he doesn’t mind being touched. I don’t want to move it around this Sunday and then move it again on Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
You are far better off to put it in a small container (relatively speaking) while you get the habitat setup PROPERLY rather then having the tarantula get injured in the current setup.
You definitely need more substrate. Regular topsoil/garden soil/dirt (with no chemicals) is all you need for substrate.

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
You are far better off to put it in a small container (relatively speaking) while you get the habitat setup PROPERLY rather then having the tarantula get injured in the current setup.
You definitely need more substrate. Regular topsoil/garden soil/dirt (with no chemicals) is all you need for substrate.
I’m getting ecoearth coco fiber (I believe) on Tuesday. I’m getting a new place for it as well. Thank you for replying. I’m really scared because I don’t know the age or sex of the tarantula. If it’s a male, I’m kind of out of luck because it’s an adult and I just purchased it a few days ago. It’s a zebra knee.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
At this point, age and sex of the tarantula don't matter, so don't worry about it :)

Male tarantulas (if they haven't molted to full maturity) can still live a few years depending on a number of factors.

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
At this point, age and sex of the tarantula don't matter, so don't worry about it :)

Male tarantulas (if they haven't molted to full maturity) can still live a few years depending on a number of factors.
Oh okay! I didn’t know that. Thank you so much! This is a bit difficult, and I really appreciate the help. I was literally having panic attacks because I thought it was going to die.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Although it seems you will definitely need more substrate, it's always the best to post pictures of the T and the whole enclosure alongside your question. :)

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
3872371D-1FC4-42E4-905F-FFB11D96442A.jpeg Thanks for the advice. I’m getting a different set up for it because the mesh lid might hurt it, and I’m going to get a different substrate and make sure it’s deep enough to borrow. I’m in the process of moving the tarantula into a different place for the moment until Tuesday come around because I don’t want it to get injured. Someone advised me to do that, and I think it’s the best choice for it at this point.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Okay, firstly you need to stop beating yourself up. Yes, it sounds like you followed some advice that is not appropriate, but you have only had this spider for a short while and it is a fairly hardy species that will be fine until you can make some adjustments to their home.
Don't worry about the sex for now, but photos will help to determine if they are a mature male, which is what it sounds as if you're most concerned about. There is a chance that these animals are wild caught, so someone else experiencing a death shortly after bringing them home could be due to the circumstances surrounding them being in captivity.
We really need to have a look at the setup to be able to make accurate recommendations. Both what you have them in right now and also screen shots/links to what you are planning already to switch them into. If you're using ReptiSoil by Zoo Med, I believe that is a fine choice. Maybe a bit on the costly side, but not dangerous for them.
Please post some photos when you can.

Last edited:

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
3601623F-C167-44F8-8F46-0BAA0E594BAF.jpeg
Okay, firstly you need to stop beating yourself up. Yes, it sounds like you followed some advice that is not appropriate, but you have only had this spider for a short while and it is a fairly hardy species that will be fine until you can make some adjustments to their home.
Don't worry about the sex for now, but photos will help to determine if they are a mature male, which is what is sounds as if you're most concerned about. There is a chance that these animals are wild caught, so someone else experiencing a death shortly after bringing them home could be due to the circumstances surrounding them being in captivity.
We really need to have a look at the setup to be able to make accurate recommendations. Both what you have them in right now and also screen shots/links to what you are planning already to switch them into. If you're using ReptiSoil by Zoo Med, I believe that is a fine choice. Maybe a bit on the costly side, but not dangerous for them.
Please post some photos when you can.
I just posted a photo of the current enclosure. Also, thanks for the reassurement. I’m not too sure if it’s wild caught or not, it didn’t really give any details. I noticed that in petco, it also had the wrong set up and no one wanted to get near it. I’m just kind of sad and scared because I really want the best for it. I am currently using reptisoil, but I want to switch it to ecoearth. I’m not sure what enclosure I should really be choosing. Someone told me that Exoterras are good as long as I get the right one. Thank you for helping me. I’m going to try to calm down and not worry too much. This is my first tarantula, and it makes me extremely sad at the thought of it dying or suffering. I am literally shaking typing this. I know it will die eventually, but I don’t want it to happen soon and that’s why I came here. Thanks for all the help.

cold blood

Staff member
Now, I wanted a Salmon pink bird eater because of their habitat choice.
Really any decent beginner, and most NW terrestrials will have the same basic habitat set up with only minor adjustments. For instance, yours prefers to burrow and likes damp substrate, especially the deeper substrate.
My mom was going to get it for me, but I got impatient and was too nervous to order online.
People in the know would order online confidently and be nervous about buying from a pet store....with experience you will see you have this backwards.
. I saw a zebra knee tarantula for $40
To really know what you have, always know the scientific name. This would be Aphonopelma seemani.

I know I made a bad choice in substrate brand. I think I got something called “reptile soil” instead of getting ecoearth stuff.
Its fine to use...like most other subs, it simply needs to be tamped down tightly.

. Also, I didn’t get but like 1 inch of substrate in the tank and some moss, an extra piece of cork bark, and a watering dish
Yeah, you will need a ton more substrate.

we got really small crickets to raise),
OMG no, you wont be raising crickets...theyre smelly, noisy and die quite easily. Buy crickets as needed....use large crickets for feeders, not small ones for an adult...or even a juvie for that matter.

Here’s the thing, she refuses to use the hide and just covers herself in moss. I assume this is because of the lack of PROPER substrate.
Your sub is fine, its just lacking in depth.

There are many different substrates that can be used...any of them or any combination can be used for literally any species....substrate is really the keepers choice. I use topsoil because its incredibly inexpensive...but its also heavy.
My mom said she’ll take me to get the right kind on this Tuesday
Just more...the kind doesn't matter as much as long as its not bark chips, sawdust or something else wacky.
I’m worried because I don’t know it’s gender, and if it’s matured and a male,
It wouldn't effect the way its housed. Males are shorter lived, but not so much that its worthless to own them....males make fine first ts, mostly because they go through life's stages faster and the shorter lifespan means you aren't committed to a t for the next few decades like you might be with a female....good to get a feel for whether or not this is the hobby for you for the long term...its a great hobby, but its not for everyone.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The setup that they are currently in is not that bad. Yes, the lid could pose a risk and it should be replaced, but it is not an awful setup at all.
This species wants deep substrate to burrow in. That can be some Eco Earth, or Jungle Mix, or ReptiSoil, or a combination of any of those. You want the substrate to be about 5-6" deep. You want to take that wood hide that you have and place it at an angle and cover it with the substrate. The substrate should be kept damp, while not keeping it soaking wet. You can achieve that by putting water down the sides of the enclosure and soaking the underneath, while keeping the top drier. Let it dry out between wetting it. They also need a water dish, which you already have, filled with fresh water and nothing else.
You want to feed them about once a week - one or two large crickets or one super worm. They don't require any external heat source or light source. If you are comfortable, they will be too.
Which ExoTerra were you thinking of? The front opening enclosures are not appropriate for this species, but the breeding box type ones would work.

cold blood

Staff member
Someone told me that Exoterras are good as long as I get the right one
Just make sure it doesn't have front opening doors...exo terras with front doors are arboreal enclosures, the front doors prevent one from adding a safe amount of substrate.

Hannahs Herps

Arachnopeon
First off, everything will be okay.
I'm going to try to pack in as much advice as possible.
1) you did not make a bad choice getting this tarantula. Sure you bought it from Petco without knowing its origins, but dont beat yourself up about it. A wild caught animal (which it likely is) is not the end of the world. Recommended? No. But I would bet half of the tarantula owners here have at least 1 wild caught specimen. The fact that you are here asking for help makes you a good pet owner.
2) while the tank he is in is not ideal, do not panic. Theres plenty you can do to make it safe. The first step I would take is to change the enclosure itself. Most people would recommend a bin setup. The mesh can be dangerous if it gets its little feet caught. Also, there have been reports of tarantulas chewing mesh. A bin with holes drilled in is perfect.
You're also going to want at least 4" of substrate. This can be top soil (which I dont personally trust to be chemical free) or coconut fibre (not everybody's favourite but I dont mind it)
As for a hide, a piece of cork bark dug into the dirt with a premade burrow is perfect. And the tarantula may not use it. And that's okay.

Dont panic. You're in the right place to get help. It's not going to die tomorrow. You have time to work all this out.

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
Really any decent beginner, and most NW terrestrials will have the same basic habitat set up with only minor adjustments. For instance, yours prefers to burrow and likes damp substrate, especially the deeper substrate.

People in the know would order online confidently and be nervous about buying from a pet store....with experience you will see you have this backwards.

To really know what you have, always know the scientific name. This would be Aphonopelma seemani.

Its fine to use...like most other subs, it simply needs to be tamped down tightly.

Yeah, you will need a ton more substrate.

OMG no, you wont be raising crickets...theyre smelly, noisy and die quite easily. Buy crickets as needed....use large crickets for feeders, not small ones for an adult...or even a juvie for that matter.

Your sub is fine, its just lacking in depth.

There are many different substrates that can be used...any of them or any combination can be used for literally any species....substrate is really the keepers choice. I use topsoil because its incredibly inexpensive...but its also heavy.

Just more...the kind doesn't matter as much as long as its not bark chips, sawdust or something else wacky.

It wouldn't effect the way its housed. Males are shorter lived, but not so much that its worthless to own them....males make fine first ts, mostly because they go through life's stages faster and the shorter lifespan means you aren't committed to a t for the next few decades like you might be with a female....good to get a feel for whether or not this is the hobby for you for the long term...its a great hobby, but its not for everyone.
Yeah, I’m definitely ordering online next time. I knew the scientific name, but I didn’t really think of using it all the time, I will now. I ended up getting small crickets because the store wouldn’t let me get bigger ones. They said the adult would die before being able to feed them or something like that. I ended up making little enclures for the crickets, and I put some heart shaped treats (idk what they’re called), carrots, and some apple pieces in there. I honestly thought of getting super worms or Dubia roaches or something like that, but it was a choice that I made at that time because I didn’t really know I would end up the A. Seemani. I’m really want to get a female. I’m in it for the long run, but I’m definitely not doing to buy adults and I’m not going to buy from a store that is known for bad tarantulas.

Feral

Arachnobaron
You seem really upset and like you might need a hug. Sending a big one! Take a breath, you'll figure this out and everything will be fine. :D

The people here will give you some excellent advice. And you seem like you're compassionate enough and smart enough that you'll learn as much as you can and do a fine job for this creature. You already know there's a ton of misinformation out there, that's a biggie, and you're putting effort into doing the best you can. That's huge. All that adds up to being ahead of the game, in my book. Thank you for caring so much for this tarantula!

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Don't stress out so much, regardless of sex or age, the fact that you're here means the T has a better shot at receiving proper care than it likely got at the pet store or would if s/he was purchased by someone without the awareness to discard the care sheet and come to this forum where you'll get actual factual care information.

Post pictures, take the advice given by the experienced keepers and staff, and enjoy your new spider buddy.

(Also - yes a mature male will die sooner, but EVERY T eventually dies. Yes, it's sad to lose a pet, yes it stinks to only have a short time with them, but you'll be learning and experiencing how these amazing little beasties live. If you find you enjoy the hobby, this could be the first of many - or you might find it's not something you enjoy after all, in which case having a near adult male could actually be a good thing since you wouldn't end up stuck with a pet that isn't a good fit for decades or have to find a suitable new owner)

Edited to add that a whole lot of really smart folks have given you good advice in the time it took me to type this up and I see that you've posted pics and are getting solid feedback.

Last edited:

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
First off, everything will be okay.
I'm going to try to pack in as much advice as possible.
1) you did not make a bad choice getting this tarantula. Sure you bought it from Petco without knowing its origins, but dont beat yourself up about it. A wild caught animal (which it likely is) is not the end of the world. Recommended? No. But I would bet half of the tarantula owners here have at least 1 wild caught specimen. The fact that you are here asking for help makes you a good pet owner.
2) while the tank he is in is not ideal, do not panic. Theres plenty you can do to make it safe. The first step I would take is to change the enclosure itself. Most people would recommend a bin setup. The mesh can be dangerous if it gets its little feet caught. Also, there have been reports of tarantulas chewing mesh. A bin with holes drilled in is perfect.
You're also going to want at least 4" of substrate. This can be top soil (which I dont personally trust to be chemical free) or coconut fibre (not everybody's favourite but I dont mind it)
As for a hide, a piece of cork bark dug into the dirt with a premade burrow is perfect. And the tarantula may not use it. And that's okay.

Dont panic. You're in the right place to get help. It's not going to die tomorrow. You have time to work all this out.
Thank you. I felt like a really bad pet owner. I do have the bin, I already had one because that was what I was originally going with, until someone told me otherwise. I already have it prepared so I’ll probably just use it. I heard about them chewing through the mesh, which scared me a lot because I have it on a shelf that has nothing around it. (It’s as wide as the exclosure itself). It it were to get out and try getting down, it would probably die from the fall. I really don’t want that to happen. Last night it was climbing up the side to the lid and I ended up waking up for some reason at like 5 am. I shined my phone light to see what it was doing and it ran back down before it could start trying to get to the mesh. I didn’t worry about it in the beginning because someone said they can’t climb glass, and I found out myself that they can. I’m going to get it a different watering dish (it says the one I have is glow in the dark, and I’m not sure if that’s good). I have a lot of things I need to fix soon. Thank you so much for all your help.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
View attachment 323299
I just posted a photo of the current enclosure. Also, thanks for the reassurement. I’m not too sure if it’s wild caught or not, it didn’t really give any details. I noticed that in petco, it also had the wrong set up
Your set up isn't the worst, it just needs some tweaking. Yes, the mesh should go. A lot more sub, definitely. You seem like a kind person and open to suggestion and changes! All good things in this hobby. You didn't make a mistake and if you're like 90% of us here, you'll be getting more T's in no time. It's honestly such an awesome and rewarding hobby.

AnnaMCC

Arachnopeon
You seem really upset and like you might need a hug. Sending a big one! Take a breath, you'll figure this out and everything will be fine. :D

The people here will give you some excellent advice. And you seem like you're compassionate enough and smart enough that you'll learn as much as you can and do a fine job for this creature. You already know there's a ton of misinformation out there, that's a biggie, and you're putting effort into doing the best you can. That's huge. All that adds up to being ahead of the game, in my book. Thank you for caring so much for this tarantula!
Thank you. I really needed that encouragement. I really do care a lot for my tarantula. It’s not just a spider to me, it’s a pet that I love just as equally as I would with any pet. I really want the best for it and I’m glad I came here. Everyone is so helpful and kind here and it really made me feel better about it. Again, thank you.

Your set up isn't the worst, it just needs some tweaking. Yes, the mesh should go. A lot more sub, definitely. You seem like a kind person and open to suggestion and changes! All good things in this hobby. You didn't make a mistake and if you're like 90% of us here, you'll be getting more T's in no time. It's honestly such an awesome and rewarding hobby.
In the future I’ll most likely get another, but should probably wait and do my best to help the one I have. Everyone has been so helpful and kind to me. Thank you for the advice and kind words.

Just make sure it doesn't have front opening doors...exo terras with front doors are arboreal enclosures, the front doors prevent one from adding a safe amount of substrate.
Thank you.

Don't stress out so much, regardless of sex or age, the fact that you're here means the T has a better shot at receiving proper care than it likely got at the pet store or would if s/he was purchased by someone without the awareness to discard the care sheet and come to this forum where you'll get actual factual care information.

Post pictures, take the advice given by the experienced keepers and staff, and enjoy your new spider buddy.

(Also - yes a mature male will die sooner, but EVERY T eventually dies. Yes, it's sad to lose a pet, yes it stinks to only have a short time with them, but you'll be learning and experiencing how these amazing little beasties live. If you find you enjoy the hobby, this could be the first of many - or you might find it's not something you enjoy after all, in which case having a near adult male could actually be a good thing since you wouldn't end up stuck with a pet that isn't a good fit for decades or have to find a suitable new owner)

Edited to add that a whole lot of really smart folks have given you good advice in the time it took me to type this up and I see that you've posted pics and are getting solid feedback.
Yes! Thank you for helping me as well. Now that I think about it, I probably should’ve came here earlier. All of your advice and kind words are extremely helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feral

Arachnobaron
People have mentioned topsoil and how to be sure it's free of additives/fertilizers/pesticides/pollutants. In case you didn't know, because I sure didn't know at first, topsoil is different than potting soil. In the beginning, I got so frustrated when I could never find plain additive-free potting soil! :sorry: D'oh! lol But there are other options too, as mentioned by others, like coco fiber and peat or any mixture of the three are safe and popular. I don't keep fossorials so I don't have to worry terribly much about burrow integrity, but I'm sure others with fossorial experience will let you know what they like.

I know it can be hard to figure out which places are providing good information when you're new and don't yet have enough knowledge and experience to judge what's good and bad info. So in addition to this place...

If no one has mentioned it yet, another resource out there, amid all the misinformation, is Tom Moran with Tom's Big Spiders. He has a blog with articles, a podcast channel through BuzzSprout, and a YouTube channel. He covers a wide variety of in depth content in a style that I think you'll relate to. He is one of the few sources out there with information I trust, and it might make a good addition to the information you get here.

He has a husbandry video on your species, I linked it below. He also has other resources concerning his thoughts on housing, substrate, feeding, all kinds of stuff.

Welcome to the world of tarantula-ing!