I Accidentally Got a Pet Centipede and I Need Help

Dazaiku

Arachnopeon
2 days ago, I was awaken in the middle of the night by the feeling that something was crawling on my skin. I immediately got up and saw a huge centipede on my bed.
As soon as I got up, the centipede seemed to be afraid of me as well as it went to crawl inside a cabinet with a sliding door which was slightly opened.
And it was trapped inside up until yesterday, when I went to extract the little guy from the cabinet into a plastic container.

Now, I am very fascinated with these creatures despite my fear of insects. I want to take care of the guy and I need help from you guys, since I have zero knowledge about this stuff.

I tried feeding him with ants and a bug ( I don't know what it is, it looked like a little cockroach ) that I personally killed for him but he won't eat them.

I've also looked into what the ideal environment is for them in this forum and a lot of people talk about substrate which I have no knowledge of. I would really appreciate tips from you guys, I really want this little guy to live.

Additional Info:
I'm from the Philippines and through some research, I think it's a Scolopendra subspinipes or Scolopendra Cataracta (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
It’s Scolopendra morsitans

It won’t eat because it’s probably stressed from being in an improper enclosure. You can use the search function to research how to make one. You’ll need something secure from escape, several inches of substrate (dirt), something to hide under, and a water dish.

Dazaiku

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the response! I haven't seen much about the scolopendra morsitans, now I'm much more fascinated.

If I use the current enclosure, after placing substrate in it, would that be alright for him/her? It's about 7x5 inches. I just hope that would be temporarily sufficient for him/her until I can get a better one.

I've already read some of the threads here and I've noticed how people use different mixtures for the substrate. Are those necessary or only optional?

Dazaiku

Arachnopeon
Also, do you think this centipede is a young one? How long will he last without eating? I'm sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
2 days ago, I was awaken in the middle of the night by the feeling that something was crawling on my skin. I immediately got up and saw a huge centipede on my bed.
As soon as I got up, the centipede seemed to be afraid of me as well as it went to crawl inside a cabinet with a sliding door which was slightly opened.
And it was trapped inside up until yesterday, when I went to extract the little guy from the cabinet into a plastic container.

Now, I am very fascinated with these creatures despite my fear of insects. I want to take care of the guy and I need help from you guys, since I have zero knowledge about this stuff.

I tried feeding him with ants and a bug ( I don't know what it is, it looked like a little cockroach ) that I personally killed for him but he won't eat them.

I've also looked into what the ideal environment is for them in this forum and a lot of people talk about substrate which I have no knowledge of. I would really appreciate tips from you guys, I really want this little guy to live.

Additional Info:
I'm from the Philippines and through some research, I think it's a Scolopendra subspinipes or Scolopendra Cataracta (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Substrate is a fancy term for dirt :)

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
You can't accidently get a pet....

You CHOSE to put it in an enclosure instead of releasing it 🤣

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Lucky this was Morsitans, not all Scolopendra are as mellow as this species.

I keep mine in just a container of peatmoss with some fat rocks and a water dish. It is not outside very often though