Hysterocrates sp. "gigas" breeding question

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know the appropriate place for this question so I'm apologizing in advance if it needs to be moved.

Anyways, I just received a new male and I introduced him into the female's enclosure. She walked right up to him and he started drumming and she started drumming and it looked like two cyclists with no arms playing footsies. (I'll let you use your imagination on that one) for 30 seconds. Then he backs up and starts drumming again and she lets him lift her a little bit before she fell on top of him and he started to do the death twitch and I realized she was eating him. No struggle witnessed just her falling on top of him.

My question is:

Was that a possibly successful breeding or was it just me feeding my female?

It just blew my mind on how the female just fell on top of the male at the end of this breeding attempt. Helpful information will be appreciated.

thanks,

Brian

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
In my expirance with breeding Hysterocrates The females always lifted there abdomins up at a 90 degree angle when the male inserts its palp. This always made it clear and obvious copulation was taking place. Heres some awful pics of what Im talking about.

later, Tom

Attachments

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting!!!! I have had a pair cohabitating for about 2-3 months now

mitchell123

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's pretty strange too breed with these species ,you can never be sure you got the right species. I think you should wait it out till futher information is available.Or atleast not selling the offspring.

But that's just my opinion.;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Something you have to do next time is give the male some time to adjust after shipping. Placing him in there the same day is almost a death sentance. They are stressed as is from the shipping and then you put a big girl infront of him? :embarrassed:
Plus that male was freshly mature, I would have waited for evidence of a sperm web before pairing them. And maybe a feeding.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my expirance with breeding Hysterocrates The females always lifted there abdomins up at a 90 degree angle when the male inserts its palp. This always made it clear and obvious copulation was taking place. Heres some awful pics of what Im talking about.

later, Tom
That's exactly what she did and when he came for a second go and she fell on top of him before she nailed him.

talkenlate04 said:
Something you have to do next time is give the male some time to adjust after shipping. Placing him in there the same day is almost a death sentance. They are stressed as is from the shipping and then you put a big girl infront of him?
Plus that male was freshly mature, no sperm webs made. You really should have waited a while before trying with that guy.
I did see the sperm web made a few hours after recieving him and after he finished I introduced him into the enclosure then he was humping air when he was introduced and she came out to greet him and it was very calm. So calm in fact I thought they where still at it until he started twitching and stopped moving.

Anyways, thanks for all the helpful advice and as soon as I get an eggsac I will post in the breeding reports.

Brian