Hysterocrates laticeps communal set-up.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Does anyone have experience of H. laticeps being kept communally. I have 3 slings arriving , I've seen a few posts on other forums and YouTube uploads where they have been kept communally, I've tried searching AB with no results, any info good or bad would be invaluable, I would like to keep them together, but if they're not suitable for a communal set-up please let me know. BTW they're all from the same sac if that makes any difference, thanks.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A large species like this may only work in a larger communal setup. It would be best to use sacmates for sure. Though I wouldnt get hopes up that it will be successful long term.

However, its not an extremely expensive species to work with. Its worth a go!

I wish you best of luck.

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've read about and seen examples of "communal" setups with this species and its cogeners, but they've pretty much exclusively involved smaller spiderling-sized specimens. It's very likely to fall apart as they increase in size.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've read about and seen examples of "communal" setups with this species and its cogeners, but they've pretty much exclusively involved smaller spiderling-sized specimens. It's very likely to fall apart as they increase in size.
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place ATM, I've received the slings but the containers/enclosures haven't arrived yet, they'll be here on Tuesday 20th at the latest, my first concern is they haven't eaten anything since I received them on Thursday, secondly I have barely seen them to post a picture(fossorial), the container is 3"x4"x4" WxLxH, slings are 1.5cm, suggestions are welcomed, please help, I'm worried they won't last until Tues. in the same enclosure/container. I have offered dubia nymphs, heads crushed so they can't hurt the slings. They may have snacked on the nymphs without my knowledge. Will they be OK until Tuesday.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place ATM, I've received the slings but the containers/enclosures haven't arrived yet, they'll be here on Tuesday 20th at the latest, my first concern is they haven't eaten anything since I received them on Thursday, secondly I have barely seen them to post a picture(fossorial), the container is 3"x4"x4" WxLxH, slings are 1.5cm, suggestions are welcomed, please help, I'm worried they won't last until Tues. in the same enclosure/container. I have offered dubia nymphs, heads crushed so they can't hurt the slings. They may have snacked on the nymphs without my knowledge. Will they be OK until Tuesday.
I would just move them into temp enclosures. If you have access to deli cups I'd get a 4oz and add some moist substrate in the bottom. If the container has a tight seal make some small pin holes in it. Then add a small piece of cutup prekilled food in and they should be fine. You can use bigger deli cups if you can't get a 4oz cups. If you can't get deli cups any small container that can be sealed should work fine.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I would just move them into temp enclosures. If you have access to deli cups I'd get a 4oz and add some moist substrate in the bottom. If the container has a tight seal make some small pin holes in it. Then add a small piece of cutup prekilled food in and they should be fine. You can use bigger deli cups if you can't get a 4oz cups. If you can't get deli cups any small container that can be sealed should work fine.
ATM I don't have any, that's why I posted, to ask if they'll be OK together for a couple of days, I've just had a look and I found the boluses of the nymphs I put in...so at least I know their eating. Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't have anything suitable....I'm bloody raging at myself, the deli cups should have been here a couple of days before the slings, but the post has been delayed for some reason, thanks @Trenor I'll just have to keep a close eye on what's going on.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
ATM I don't have any, that's why I posted, to ask if they'll be OK together for a couple of days, I've just had a look and I found the boluses of the nymphs I put in...so at least I know their eating. Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't have anything suitable....I'm bloody raging at myself, the deli cups should have been here a couple of days before the slings, but the post has been delayed for some reason, thanks @Trenor I'll just have to keep a close eye on what's going on.
Ahh, I misunderstood. You'll likely be fine at that size if you make sure they have plenty of food.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Ahh, I misunderstood. You'll likely be fine at that size if you make sure they have plenty of food.
OK @Trenor, I'll keep them well fed, I'll cut up some dubias, then when I get the deli-cups I'll re-house them Tues. at the latest. Thanks for getting back to me it's appreciated.