Hysterocrates hercules

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I purchased one of these 5" beauts and will be getting it tomorrow. I am thinking it is not hercules however. I will not give any names, but they said they purchsed them with that name from Europe. I'm thinking it is either H. gigas, sculpt (spelling?), or some other Hy. sp. What are you alls opinions? Got a good deal on it, so I went ahead and took it.

Austin

iluvspydrz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
may be easier to ID or answer your question if you had a pic. post one when she arrives{D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Austin congrats on the new T! I don't think its actually Hysterocrates hercules though because I remember Michael Jacobi saying something about them not actually being in the hobby, and that he hasn't even seen one alive, only dead ones preserved in alcohol. I could be wrong though, we'll wait for him to drop by to answer that question.

You should definately get a picture though, I don't know how much Iding we'd be able to do though, because I always soo this species with unsure names like Hysterocrates spp. THis species might be as screwed up as Avicularia.:eek:

Anyways, congrats once more, and lets see those pics.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Congrats! But I seriously doubt its a true H. hercules. (If there is indeed one:rolleyes:)
It may just be a Hysterocrates sp.

-Sean

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahah I know. I am 99% sure it wont be. Even the guys I got it from were not 100% sure. But for me there is still that 1%. :drool: Come on, show me the money! :D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Did you per chance get a locale on this specimen? Where its from?

-Sean

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Click here.

As for the other Hysterocrates species, the genus is perhaps second only to Avicularia in taxonomic uncertainty. Something I expect Mr. Gallon will correct in due course.

Best regards, Michael

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the specimen I bought from Europe. They labeled it under Hysterocrates hercules. This individual is 5", in pre molt. I bought it as unsexed, but got it out and it is 100% female. So I got lucky on the sex, not so sure about it being the "true" hercules. What do you all think?
Here are some shots of her enclosure.
Label that was on shipping container.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Austin, I only see the picture with the label. Did you mean to only post that pic or others as well?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Enclosure/container shots

Being in pre molt shes dull as of right now.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She is a gorgeous spider, but I have absolutely no idea if she is the true "hercules" or not. No idea.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That doesn't even look like a Hyserocrates spp. , looks like a C.crawshayi to me. Gorgeous none the less.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd almost say you have a Cithariscius crawshayi.

I have to be faster.:)

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That doesn't even look like a Hyserocrates spp. , looks like a C.crawshayi to me. Gorgeous none the less.
I was just about to say that. Doesn't look like Hysterocrates. to me. Definitly a nice critter though.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow:eek: :clap: beautiful baboon, you got me on the id,not sure either,she kinda looks like a REALLY BIG king baboon alittle, don't mind me asking but what do you pay for her? just courious. she is awesome at that!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow:eek: :clap: beautiful baboon, you got me on the id,not sure either,she kinda looks like a REALLY BIG king baboon alittle, don't mind me asking but what do you pay for her? just courious. she is awesome at that!
Actually she looks like a really small C.crawshayi because in the third pic there is a cricket next to her, and unless that cricket is huge, she is small.