Hysterocrates hercules Research

Paul Osullivan

Arachnopeon
To be honest, if a spider has these Four VERY UNIQUE/ KEY features (attatched) that's described only to H. HERCULES by Pocock and are NOT seen and described for any other Hysterocrates. You have to think this must be it, or at least a close relative to it and indeed the type specimen? The chances of a spider having these features on top of all the others described like mine (and possibly a few others I have seen) and not for it to be it is near impossible. It should be labled at the very least - H. Hercules (regional variation) or similar as it most closely matches this description than to the others (e.g gigas, crassipes etc).

There are also other sources that have H. Hercules pictures in the "Common Hysterocrates features" file on this shared folder and the file "key Hercules features" explains more unique features to H. Hercules.. thanks I hope you find this interesting ..

Below the four "key features" attachments are different "hercules" from different sources and I would have to agree for them all to be H. Hercules from the unique features seen.. Surely one or all of these had to be labelled "hercules" from a knowledgable expert and maybe was compared to the type specimen and would be "IT". Though with the many unique features of H. Hercules, It didn't need to be compared, as the many unique features were present on the same spider and it was then a case of finding out where it came from and agreeing that all of Pocock's H. Hercules descriptive features being present on the same spider..

Hey all, I have finished prity much everything on the online drive. Including new files "Korean Hysterocrates" and "Whitey's herc compared to laticeps" this goes through in detail some common "hercules" look alikes and how to see the differences in them.

Please take a good look through those and familiarise with all the details. This will make the "Please Read" files easier to grasp.

I hope you will take the time to look through all of it and I will look forward to anything you may want to add or ask about the research.

Thanks,

Paul O'Sullivan

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Osullivan

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

I have finished prity much everything on the online drive. Including new files "Korean Hysterocrates" and "Whitey's herc compared to laticeps" this goes through in detail some common "hercules" look alikes and how to see the differences in them.

Please take a good look through those and familiarise with all the details. This will make the "Please Read" files easier to grasp.

I hope you will take the time to look through all of it and I will look forward to anything you may want to add or ask about the research.

Thanks,

I apologize for using anyones material in the research. I hope you can forgive me in the common goal of good research. Thanks.

Paul O'Sullivan Screenshot_2020-11-02-16-16-16-31_90f6820949b6ab94bf051a29130ae871.jpg

DaveM

Arachnolord
Thank you for posting this info, especially for the documents in the folder you shared. This effort has seemed to be like searching for a lost city of gold.
I hope some taxonomists can comment, or that we can see more expeditions.

Paul Osullivan

Arachnopeon
Thank you for posting this info, especially for the documents in the folder you shared. This effort has seemed to be like searching for a lost city of gold.
I hope some taxonomists can comment, or that we can see more expeditions.
Awsome! Thanks Dave!

I really hope you enjoyed looking at them. Yes it has been a search for lost gold and unravelling a legendary mystery that seems to have gone on for so long and everyone it seems all not knowing this from that, 'this is a herc', 'thats a herc', 'they're not in the hobby', 'the genus is a mess'!! Ohhhh man I had to.. take Pockocks original description and brush it off and say look.. FACTS!!!

I have gone though everything I think have needed to. bar direct comparison to the specimen (I'm planning to visit next year), although this is now innaccurate to compare too, as you can see in the research. It's clear that the real living H.hercules is in Whitey's collection, after mis-identification and its habitat being to dangerous to visit.. I'm sure they are much more widespread than believed. But what an impressive beast it is he has and it even looks fitting of that name! I also have the same species, but much smaller and even they match completely to Pococks description, even given the smaller size as the ratios still hold between the measurements, given it was a female and no "legginess" happened on the maturing moult.

I appreciate you taking the time to look through it and hope you found it interesting. I have updated the "Herc scep" file this evening if you wanted to read that for more. I have contacted all the big guns of the hobbey to look at it all. I don't mean to say it was mis-identified, it's just my hunch that mine and whitey's specimens are H. hercules and I have prity much proved that it is, through 2 years of research, hard work and evidence in the files. There may have been something I have mised, but I don't think I have. <edit>

Cheers, Paul..