Hysterocrates Gigas Husbandry

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Is H. Gigas is a heavy webber tarantula? and fast growing?
Not a webber in the sense that an OBT or GBB is. They're obligate burrowers, my juvenile female (~3"+) has always burrowed straight to the bottom of anything I've put her in and has made extensive tunnel systems. Needs to be kept on deep, damp substrate. Very decent growth rates, they put on size pretty quick.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
They eat like beasts and grow quite fast.

One of the ultimate tarantula burrowers.

Theyve been found as deep as 38 feet down burrows...deeper than any other species has been observed to burrow.

They web a bunch, but you dont see much of it as its generally lining the burrow walls. They wont web up the surface too much though.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member

Theyve been found as deep as 38 feet down burrows...deeper than any other species has been observed to burrow.

They web a bunch, but you dont see much of it as its generally lining the burrow walls. They wont web up the surface too much though.
38 feet? That has got to be a typo. That would be as long as, what, a two story building is tall? 38 inches or just over 3 feet of burrow sounds more right.

panggoy espino

Arachnopeon
Not a webber in the sense that an OBT or GBB is. They're obligate burrowers, my juvenile female (~3"+) has always burrowed straight to the bottom of anything I've put her in and has made extensive tunnel systems. Needs to be kept on deep, damp substrate. Very decent growth rates, they put on size pretty quick.
Thank you that is a useful idea coz i have h gigas slings.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
38 feet? That has got to be a typo. That would be as long as, what, a two story building is tall? 38 inches or just over 3 feet of burrow sounds more right.
Nope. @cold blood (as usual) is correct. AND! They swim.

I digress, OP’s initial question was husbandry. Here you go, take notes, a box FULL of moist dirt. Ponder that...done.

cold blood

Staff member
no, feet....i wish i knew where i read about it....but yeah....stupid deep.

Given the opportunity I think almost any terrestrial would be capable of 38 inches....Aphonopelma in their northern range would have to burrow at least that deep to survive winters in say, CO or MO.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope, they're hardcore burrowers, provide deep/moist substrate, they're ravenous and grow pretty fast.