Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Hysterocrates Gigas Husbandry

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by panggoy espino, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    Is H. Gigas is a heavy webber tarantula? and fast growing?

2. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnoangel Active Member

Not a webber in the sense that an OBT or GBB is. They're obligate burrowers, my juvenile female (~3"+) has always burrowed straight to the bottom of anything I've put her in and has made extensive tunnel systems. Needs to be kept on deep, damp substrate. Very decent growth rates, they put on size pretty quick.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

They eat like beasts and grow quite fast.

One of the ultimate tarantula burrowers.

Theyve been found as deep as 38 feet down burrows...deeper than any other species has been observed to burrow.

They web a bunch, but you dont see much of it as its generally lining the burrow walls. They wont web up the surface too much though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

38 feet? That has got to be a typo. That would be as long as, what, a two story building is tall? 38 inches or just over 3 feet of burrow sounds more right.

5. Thank you that is a useful idea coz i have h gigas slings.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2019
  6. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnodemon Active Member

Nope. @cold blood (as usual) is correct. AND! They swim.

I digress, OP’s initial question was husbandry. Here you go, take notes, a box FULL of moist dirt. Ponder that...done.

7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

no, feet....i wish i knew where i read about it....but yeah....stupid deep.

Given the opportunity I think almost any terrestrial would be capable of 38 inches....Aphonopelma in their northern range would have to burrow at least that deep to survive winters in say, CO or MO.

8. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Nope, they're hardcore burrowers, provide deep/moist substrate, they're ravenous and grow pretty fast.

9. Thank you sire

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.