Hysterocrates Gigas communal

cold blood

Staff member
H. gigas is not a communal species, no matter how many times you hear otherwise. Slings living together for a period is merely tolerance as youngsters.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Piranhas are communal, yet they sometimes kill each other. Many have bite marks.

Humans are communal, yet they attack and kill each other quite often.

Many with M. balfouri communals have had their males mature in that setup. I would say that tarantulas that kill and eat their own kind just as easily as any other prey item is not communal. I am not sure if that applies to M. balfouri.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well there about the most communal tarantula species in the hobby right now. What do you mean by "not communal"?
1. It’s not documented in the wild that they are communal to anyone’s knowledge - if you have data prove it!

2. There’s documented proof of cannibalism in captivity!

3. WHY OH WHY are you suggesting that one trivialize the life of another animal?????

Balfouri have NO CHOICE in this “communal” cannibalism idea that you and everyone else suggests

Why are you so willing to suggest one risk another animal’s life?

Would you want to be treated that way?

I imagine you wouldn’t mind being treated the same way.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry for the delay, I was feeding my snakes. What I'm trying to say is that the casualty's in a Balfouri communal are far less than any other t species. Which would make them the most viable for a communal setup which was a step up from
Hysterocrates Gigas, which is a lot more finicky in a communal setup than M.Balfouri.
They still both arent truly communal if you are comparing casualty rates from cannabalism. Its never been proven. You are playing god with the tarantulas lives for your own pleasure of keeping thhem togethher selfishly for a experiment. How would you like it if you were thhrow into a small space with potentially cannabalistic hhumans with no escape and no say in it? I wouldn't, they have no say in it. If you are thinking of communals you are not really thinking about preserving and caring for your tarantulas lives to thhe best of your ability...and may be in the hobby for the wrong reasons. Keep them separate and keep them alive.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
1 out of 3 is a 33% fail rate, unless you are a baseball player, that is a horrible stat.

To be fair though, The author said himself that the has no idea what happened to the third one and for all intensive purposes could have died in a bad moult and been eaten by the others. Overall though casualty's were minimal with the 2 remaining getting along fine.
he said he didn't find the body, which means it was consumed. Either live or dead. Assuming it was natural causes is a guess, and a hopeful one at that given the history of this 'experiment'

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Okay, so I don't want to risk anything so I separated them yesterday. Thanks everyone.
Thank You. Honestly if you could build a HUGE enclosure, it could work (if they each had their own predation zones) but in a tank it is crowding, and all that results from it

Saksida2000

Arachnosquire
Some update. The gigas that stayed in the original enclosure (communal enclosure) has sealed up the burrow. Any reason why or just a T being a T?

sasker

Arachnoprince
My P. muticus also seals up her burrow, but she is still eating. It's what they do, apparently.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Thank You. Honestly if you could build a HUGE enclosure, it could work (if they each had their own predation zones) but in a tank it is crowding, and all that results from it
Actually, a smaller enclosure is better. With a huge enclosure the t’s get territorial, with a smaller enclosure they tend to live and share their homes.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Actually, a smaller enclosure is better. With a huge enclosure the t’s get territorial, with a smaller enclosure they tend to live and share their homes.
until they eat each other. No communal to my knowledge has been successful at anything other than reducing the numbers of Ts one owns.
Did you see my Dims on HUGE? I don't think anyone has attempted a 10 foot x 15 foot enclosure yet, so there is probably no data on them getting territorial.
Last, if they get territorial in a huge space, they will do the same in a small one, probably quicker

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
until they eat each other. No communal to my knowledge has been successful at anything other than reducing the numbers of Ts one owns.
Did you see my Dims on HUGE? I don't think anyone has attempted a 10 foot x 15 foot enclosure yet, so there is probably no data on them getting territorial.
Last, if they get territorial in a huge space, they will do the same in a small one, probably quicker
Who knows.