Hysterocrates Gigas communal

Saksida2000

Arachnosquire
How much luck have you had with gigas as communal? I have 3 slings, around 0.5"/1cm. All 3 have buried and what I am a little bit concerned about is cannibalism. Can they randomly attack one another? Of course, Ts can fast a lot, but still... Any chance?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
ofcourse theres a chance its out of your control soon as you put them all together. why would you even try knowing the chance of cannibalsim is there?

Saksida2000

Arachnosquire
ofcourse theres a chance its out of your control soon as you put them all together. why would you even try knowing the chance of cannibalsim is there?
I know, that there is always some chance, but from what i have gathered online, apparently they make incredible communal Ts. I just want to know from people that kept/are keeping them what their experiences are.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I know, that there is always some chance, but from what i have gathered online, apparently they make incredible communal Ts. I just want to know from people that kept/are keeping them what their experiences are.
i see hope it works out for you

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Well to be fair, if he has his heart set on a communal tarantula setup, He should try the species
Monocentropus balfouri! I've seen some incredible webbing from these guys when they are together.
Still not communal.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
these are 8" Ts when full grown. May I suggest a set up of 72" x 84" x 24" deep. That should provide adequate space to survive comfortably.
Don't have that kind of room? Keep them separate

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Well there about the most communal tarantula species in the hobby right now. What do you mean by "not communal"?
They still eat each other in "communal" setups.

Once upon a time avicularia avicularia and poecilotheria metallica and others were "the most communal tarantulas in the Hobby" but still aren't communal and still eat each other.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince

Once upon a time avicularia avicularia and poecilotheria metallica and others were "the most communal tarantulas in the Hobby" but still aren't communal and still eat each other.
Well, perhaps cannibalism is a 'communal' behavior.

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon

Yes but they have evolved to live together due to them being on incredibly small island with no room to spare. They have been recorded to share large meals when they are slings. They have been seen to build massive communal nests where they will huddle together. And more importantly, When it comes to feeding time, They will take food from each other without killing each other! I think this species is much more promising with a communal setup than p. metallica or a. avicularia.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Yes but they have evolved to live together due to them being on incredibly small island with no room to spare. They have been recorded to share large meals when they are slings. They have been seen to build massive communal nests where they will huddle together. And more importantly, When it comes to feeding time, They will take food from each other without killing each other! I think this species is much more promising with a communal setup than p. metallica or a. avicularia.
And yet everything you've said they do has never been scientifically described, just anecdotally described. And they still eat each other in "communal setups".

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
This could be true. By that definition ALL tarantulas are communal.
and that's my point. This is pretty simple predatory behavior. Each predator wants the best access to prey and to have their own personal hunting zone. Any encroachment typically creates conflict which many times, gets settle violently. So each animal needs to have it's own space, which is why I suggested a 6' x 7' x 2' enclosure. The 3 Ts would be roughly 2-3' apart, that may reduce mortality

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon
And yet everything you've said they do has never been scientifically described, just anecdotally described. And they still eat each other in "communal setups".
There has been live video proof the exact things that I have said. I can link them for you if you don't believe me.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
There has been live video proof the exact things that I have said. I can link them for you if you don't believe me.
and for folks who have been on this board for many years, we are yet to hear about one working out over the long haul. So just because they are getting along at point A doesn't mean that will be the case in the future

2 years in, 3 is now 2. https://davethebugguy.org/2015/04/11/monocentropus-balfouri-an-experiment-with-communal-tarantulas/

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
To be fair though, The author said himself that the has no idea what happened to the third one and for all intensive purposes could have died in a bad moult and been eaten by the others. Overall though casualty's were minimal with the 2 remaining getting along fine.
And all the other instances where Balfouri have eaten other Balfouri must surely be the same cause... Natural death followed by eating by it's cage mates.

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon
And all the other instances where Balfouri have eaten other Balfouri must surely be the same cause... Natural death followed by eating by it's cage mates.
Sorry for the delay, I was feeding my snakes. What I'm trying to say is that the casualty's in a Balfouri communal are far less than any other t species. Which would make them the most viable for a communal setup which was a step up from
Hysterocrates Gigas, which is a lot more finicky in a communal setup than M.Balfouri.