Hystercrates sp. (hercules) dilema

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Now I know that H. hercules is not in supposed to be in the hobby, but about 4 years ago, I purchased 2 H. hercules from an American dealer who imported them from a dealer in Germany.
Anyway, I hoped to possibly get at least 1 female from the pair, and had thought about breeding them should 1 turn out to be male. (I know they are from the same sac, but without a means to 100% confirm the species, I didn't want to risk contaminating the blood lines)
Well over the past couple weeks both molted out and are mature males. I'm not sure what to do as they were sold to me as H. hercules and I have no access to a mature female H. hercules to even try it with. I do have a large female H. gigas, but again I don't want to attempt a cross breeding.
I've heard that possibly H. hercules could be another name for H. gigas, but I'm not sure where to look for information.
Any input/information would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to let these 2 die in vain as they are fantastic spiders.
Thanks!
Ralph

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H. hercules and H. gigas have been described as diffrent species. I know that here you do see T's labled as H. hercules but there has been alot of mix ups with H. gigas. The price for a adult female 6 years ago was 60DM (about $30). I haven't seen many for sale here as H. hercules latly. But there's a chance you could have some real ones. Even if it's a small chance.

Anthony

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there any American taxonomist who is trying to carify the Hysterocrates complex ?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is there any American taxonomist who is trying to carify the Hysterocrates complex ?
thats a GREAT question. i hope somebody can answer that one for us! from what i have read...h. hercules is a myth/mix up with h. gigas.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unless you know the location where the originals were collected it is unlikely that you will know which species it really is. I label all of mine as Hystocrates sp. The "gigas" in most if not all collections should also be labeled the same. This is to insure that they dont get crossed up in the event that the pure H. gigas was to enter the hobby.
Keep in mind that this genus is a real mess at the moment.

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I have been led to believe that there is not anyone alive who could correctly identify H. hercules. I had in my possesion one of two only living spiderlings from a supposed H. hercules eggsac. Mine was a female and the other a male. Is it truley an H. hercules I will probably never know. My friend has this female in his collection now.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well one of the supposed traits of h.gigas i guesse is a swollen tibia or kinda football shaped formation of leg 4.hystocrates is a big mess in the hobby and its good that u dont wanna maker it any worse.mabey you could send off molts to richard gallon if u still had them.even e-mailing him some pics might help.thats who id talk to if i was in your shoes.you should be able to find his contact info on here or check the tarantulastore.com