Hydrating Dry Substrate?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I noticed today as I pulled my C. lividum enclosure out for a new (larger) water dish that the back half of the enclosure is pretty dry. :( So much so that when I went to put some water on, the water skipped around the sub and went straight to the bottom, right into the burrow, leaving me with a rather cranky T coming to see what's up.

Short of finding a long needle and poking it half way into the sub to slowly add water, what's the best way to rehydrate substrate?

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What are you using for substrate. Sounds like coco fiber or something similar. If it dries out it will resist soaking up water for a while but eventually it will absorb it. If it is a little damp it will usually absorb it right away so the obvious solution is to not let it dry out completely but I understand it happens. You can lightly mist the dry substrate until it starts absorbing then you can pour a little more water in and it should soak up right away.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's why I use mixed with the substrate a fine grain vermiculite, and the enclosures where I keep T's that needs a more humid environment are always moist.

cold blood

Staff member
I noticed today as I pulled my C. lividum enclosure out for a new (larger) water dish that the back half of the enclosure is pretty dry. :( So much so that when I went to put some water on, the water skipped around the sub and went straight to the bottom, right into the burrow, leaving me with a rather cranky T coming to see what's up.

Short of finding a long needle and poking it half way into the sub to slowly add water, what's the best way to rehydrate substrate?
That's exactly what you want...its the sub down deep that needs to be moistened, the surface sub matters a lot less, as it will not spend too much time there anyway.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, the enclosure is right across from the heater and the front seemed just fine...

That's exactly what you want...its the sub down deep that needs to be moistened, the surface sub matters a lot less, as it will not spend too much time there anyway.
Do you regularly water both sides of the enclosure? I guess I thought it would wick to the other side more...

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks, the enclosure is right across from the heater and the front seemed just fine...

Do you regularly water both sides of the enclosure? I guess I thought it would wick to the other side more...
The whole bottom stays damp and never really completely dries out. So when it runs down it eventually makes its way....but sometimes I do pour a little on each side.