Husbandry notes for Hemirrhagus sp?

Johan154

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody,

Hope I am posting this at the right place, I am a new member.

Anybody have any husbandy notes or information of Hemirrhagus sp? There is not so much out there, or not that I could find anyway, I understand that they live in caves.

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
I doubt they are in the hobby at all.
There was talk of a captive sac from one of them, but never anything solid.
Besides, Mexico doesn't really export Ts IIRC.

Johan154

Arachnopeon
Thank you for replying. They are in the hobby, at least in Europe, a polish breeder are selling them.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hello everybody,

Hope I am posting this at the right place, I am a new member.

Anybody have any husbandy notes or information of Hemirrhagus sp? There is not so much out there, or not that I could find anyway, I understand that they live in caves.
Not all Hemirrhagus species live in caves. Many of them live in pine forests under rocks/ stones. I looked at the website of the Polish breeder selling this Hemirrhagus species and judging by the photo of it, it is not a cave-dweller. The photo shows the ocular tubercle as being normally developed compared to the cave-dwelling (troglobitic) species which have severely reduced ocular tubercles (small to no eyes). Based on the photo, the species looks to be one of three possibilities: H. eros, H. benzaa, or H. embolulatus. All three of those species have the black body with the red-orange urticating hair patch which is the same as the one on the Polish seller's web site.

As for how to care for them in captivity, I would have no idea since no Hemirrhagus species has been available in the American pet trade as far as I know. At least, I have never seen them listed on any seller price list. You will need to ask the seller how they are caring for them since it appears they have at least one adult they used for photographing and are selling spiderlings. I would also ask them where those they are selling originally came from in Mexico and how they acquired them for resell in Poland. If a seller is willing to ask for the big money on a species new to the pet market, they should give you a detailed background on how they came to be in possession of them as part of the justification for asking for such money. As a buyer, you should be entitled to the provenance of what you spend you hard earned dollars on as well.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
They are being sold in Europe right now, I've seen pictures of what looked to be a female with a sac.

Johan154

Arachnopeon
Not all Hemirrhagus species live in caves. Many of them live in pine forests under rocks/ stones. I looked at the website of the Polish breeder selling this Hemirrhagus species and judging by the photo of it, it is not a cave-dweller. The photo shows the ocular tubercle as being normally developed compared to the cave-dwelling (troglobitic) species which have severely reduced ocular tubercles (small to no eyes). Based on the photo, the species looks to be one of three possibilities: H. eros, H. benzaa, or H. embolulatus. All three of those species have the black body with the red-orange urticating hair patch which is the same as the one on the Polish seller's web site.

As for how to care for them in captivity, I would have no idea since no Hemirrhagus species has been available in the American pet trade as far as I know. At least, I have never seen them listed on any seller price list. You will need to ask the seller how they are caring for them since it appears they have at least one adult they used for photographing and are selling spiderlings. I would also ask them where those they are selling originally came from in Mexico and how they acquired them for resell in Poland. If a seller is willing to ask for the big money on a species new to the pet market, they should give you a detailed background on how they came to be in possession of them as part of the justification for asking for such money. As a buyer, you should be entitled to the provenance of what you spend you hard earned dollars on as well.
Thank you so much, that´s very helpful. I will check with the them to get more information about it.