Huntsmen Spiders Found Living Communally in Austrailia

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's an unusual sight. Looks pretty crowded in there. Not very good to describe hunstmans as dangerous to humans. Most Australian huntsmans are harmless. I believe there's one species of huntsman from Western Australia that has stronger venom.

And just to clarify, those nest boxes were built for pygmy possums, not opossums. Opossums are American marsupials.

NYAN

Arachnoking
This communal huntsman species isn’t anything new, unfortunately.

I believe there's one species of huntsman from Western Australia that has stronger venom.
Source? I’ve never heard this before.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Reading through that earlier, I laughed when they said some species can get up to a foot long :D...unless they aren't telling us something...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
Reading through that earlier, I laughed when they said some species can get up to a foot long :D...unless they aren't telling us something...

Heteropoda maxima is supposed to be able to get around that size. From what I’ve seen, most of them don’t get that large.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Heteropoda maxima is supposed to be able to get around that size. From what I’ve seen, most of them don’t get that large.
You mean to tell me that people who say there are no spiders with a foot leg span have been lying this whole time? Last time I turn to Arachnoboards for advice*...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

*Or was that just in reference to Theraphosa ;)?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not very good to describe hunstmans as dangerous to humans. Most Australian huntsmans are harmless. I believe there's one species of huntsman from Western Australia that has stronger venom.
White paper citation required here. Rechecking the most up to date sources I have does not list any heteropodidae as medically significant. However, one of their native habitats, open sewers in third world countries, list them as problematic in that they can transmit numerous human hazardous pathogens.

3 foot long huntsman should come as no surprise. When teleporting, an object may be at multiple locations at the same time. See Homer Simpson watching TV while urinating into a teleporter for details.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Just out of curiosity, is anyone keeping these communally? Or do they rather coexist in the wild but cannibalize when placed in the close confines of a terrarium?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Snark

Old Timer
Current research suggests otherwise:
Good references! I've been hearing it both ways and the jury is still out. Lots of convincing arguments on both sides. Throwing all the egghead noise into the corner and examining the practical from a boots on the ground point of view, my guess is the spider MAY be a vector under certain circumstances. But logistics enters into this. The skin is compromised by a bite and an infection developes. Was the infection from the spider, it's glands being a host to the organism, the organism simply present on the chelicerae, the organism on the spider in general, or the organism simple present in abundance in the environment?
Well, several thousand test swabs have been taken in typical low hygiene environments and cultured, returning a ridiculous number of postives. I did my mother in law's house with about 30 swabs and had some sort of positive on every one. MRSA, E-coli, Lepto, Pseudomonas and you name it. About normal for a village where hogs are raised, chickens free range in pathways where people frequent and the bars of antibacterial soap I gave mom 15 years ago remain unused.
So don't expect the jury to be coming back any time soon.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I was checking out the video linked to in the article..

That is pretty cool. I was surprised by how roughly she handled them, with her bare hands no less.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Snark

Old Timer
That is pretty cool. I was surprised by how roughly she handled them, with her bare hands no less.
That video reminds me of hill tribe kids playing with nature's race machines. Sometimes they would draw a large circle in the dirt and each would release their spider in the center, seeing which would cross the circle first.
That's about how my wife handles them, snatching them up and putting them on her head to keep them away from the cats. When handled they are actually pretty tolerant. On an unknown movable surface like your hair, they sort of go with the flow and appear quite amiable: 'Get me off the surface of this alien planet and I'll show you a whole new meaning of the word boogie. But until then..."
Of the several hundred encounters I've had with them over nearly 20 years here, I can't recall a single threat display. But then all the encounters are in situ. Maybe in a synthetic environment where they can't get up into overdrive it's different.

Last edited:

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This communal huntsman species isn’t anything new, unfortunately.

Source? I’ve never heard this before.
I believe I came across the information online a few years ago but I can't remember which website it was. It featured a photo of this particular huntsman species from WA and it looked quite different to the huntsmans that I'm used to seeing. They'd also given it a common name though I can't recall what that was.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I believe I came across the information online a few years ago but I can't remember which website it was. It featured a photo of this particular huntsman species from WA and it looked quite different to the huntsmans that I'm used to seeing. They'd also given it a common name though I can't recall what that was.
Social Huntsman (Delena Cancerides). According to minibeast's spidentify app this behavior is apparently well known among them (as in, groups of several hundred specimens). If seen a handful of them over the years but never in groups numbering more than 5 or 6