Huntsman Spiders

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
The largest verified and recorded specimen was 13 inches.

ctenid

Arachnopeon
Ciphor, good job. I will now steer clear of opinions concerning spider pet keepers and just stick to the substance of spider IDs, habits and everything spidery. After all, thats why I just joined this thing. Since I never meet anyone who gives a hoot (excluding the few researchers I work with) or is the least bit interested in spiders much less know what they are, this could be interesting. My main interest is researching spiders of medical importance but I am generally fascinated by all spiders, their fellow arachnid pals and a few insects like the Hemipterans.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Ciphor, good job. I will now steer clear of opinions concerning spider pet keepers and just stick to the substance of spider IDs, habits and everything spidery. After all, thats why I just joined this thing. Since I never meet anyone who gives a hoot (excluding the few researchers I work with) or is the least bit interested in spiders much less know what they are, this could be interesting. My main interest is researching spiders of medical importance but I am generally fascinated by all spiders, their fellow arachnid pals and a few insects like the Hemipterans.
This message board is mostly comprised of people who have a love of spiders, more so then a love of the science of studying them. I'm personally excited to see someone who at first glance, appears very knowledgeable about the infraorder araneomorphae, as that is my main interest. I hope you do stick around and we can squeeze some facts from you :) and get more input on tough ID's.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This message board is mostly comprised of people who have a love of spiders, more so then a love of the science of studying them. I'm personally excited to see someone who at first glance, appears very knowledgeable about the infraorder araneomorphae, as that is my main interest. I hope you do stick around and we can squeeze some facts from you :) and get more input on tough ID's.
I'll second that!
Come on out and do some field research. I've got a list of cave areas that are darned difficult to get to that need a willing victim... err, researcher. Be prepared to lift several hundred 1 to 10 ton boulders. (Maxima tends to prefer a rather hostile environment)

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I'll second that!
Come on out and do some field research. I've got a list of cave areas that are darned difficult to get to that need a willing victim... err, researcher. Be prepared to lift several hundred 1 to 10 ton boulders. (Maxima tends to prefer a rather hostile environment)
Oh dude that's right, you are in that area. To bad you can't get them to us. Those guys would be loved in the hobby.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
My most recent Maxima hunting expedition. Little brother claimed he knew of a cave where he thinks they had been spotted and invited me to go check it out. If I knew then what I know now I would have shot the little spud and kicked back with a cold drink and a smile on my face.
At the end of a dirt road we parked. The terrain was so open after a mile hike I went back and got the jeep. We drove another 15 miles or so eventually winding up into a valley. We parked and topped a ridge. Going down the other side of the ridge was some pretty steep loose rocks terrain. And on down we went. Altogether, another 2 miles I'd guess. Then the cave was up on the side of the valley. We really needed rock climbing gear but finally managed it. 20 feet in the cave entrance, about 4 feet tall and 10 feet wide, it jogged left about 45 degrees. Another 50 feet and it was pitch black. The ceiling was far out of sight above. Then we entered a vast cavern. The floor of the cave was massive boulders going up an incline of 45 degrees off into the darkness hundreds of feet judging by the echos. That was when I began weighing the pros and cons of shooting him. In that rock scree you could have hidden several hundred million Maxima and still have had room for a couple thousand SUVs.
Out of drinking water, it was around 110 degrees outside, no shade, and we had a super steep 2 mile climb back to the jeep.
I'm leaving the exploring to someone else.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here is how i am keeping my Thelcticopis modesta slings. I figured with high humidity and ventilation needs, this would work good for now. They have all molted 2-3 times. At first the wouldnt touch anything but FFF, but i now have them on cricket legs.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3562.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3563.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3564.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3565.jpg

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Olios giganteus

I have some AZ Huntsman (Olios giganteus) they are awesome spiders and so fun to keep. i have 6 of them at the moment and 2 of them have sacks! i keep mine in a tub that is like 8" tall and 7" wide. they make these sacks that they hide inside of when they have their eggs or babies. it would be interesting to have a larger one but i do enjoy my not so little AZ ones :)