Huntsman slings help

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got about 20 slings separated into vials but the others are still in the tank that they were hatched in due to my fear of crushing them by transferring them. The ones in the vials have almost all eaten a f/fly but it doesn't seem that any in the tank are going after food. Should I keep tossing in a bunch of fruit flies or should I try a busted cricket or two. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why -wouldn't- you try a dead/injured cricket? just wondering.

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's why I asked the question. You tell me! I keep hearing about people using fruit flies. I'm asking if that's the best bet or if I -should- use a dead cricket.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very tiny pinheads or fruitflies is what ive always used,i never tried dead crix(on my baby ts i did,it works great) definitly give it a try,if it doesnt work,the go the other route,goodluck w/them:clap:

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Beetleman. I guess what I'm worried about is the ones in the tank have, so far, shown no visible interest in food. At what point do I worry about them not eating? This is my first egg sac of any kind, so I've never dealt with spiderlings before. I don't want to see some start to drop before I realize that I need to do something different. I'm just being a paranoid new dad. I'm really excited to have these little guys.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they should start eating sometimes it takes alittle time,as long as you have the prey availible they will eventually take it,i have baby centipedes and they took almost 2weeks to start eating,but ofcourse pedes might be alittle different in their feeding ways,when i had baby jumpers/hunstman/wolfs they always took alittle time to start eating,even when i kept them together.but yours will start.:)

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Beetleman. Things are looking good now. I've got a little over 100 of them bottled up now and almost all have eaten at least one f/fly. They seem to be getting bigger quite quickly but no sheds yet. So far (I realize I'm just seeing the tip of the iceberg right now) this has been a very rewarding experience. I'm out of vials, so I'm setting up deli containers with about 15 slings each. I can't wait to get these guys big enough to start moving them out! I can't imagine how much work goes into breeding spiders/tarantulas in large numbers.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How long was it before you separated them? Also, did they open the sac on their own?

I was sure my sac was dead. The mother died and I put the sac in a larger vial to incubate. It was too moist in there and the outside of the sac started to mold. Today I couldn't resist taking a peak. Well they were fine in there and some came rushing out.

How cannibalistic are these guys, can I leave them together to thin down the numbers?

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long was it before you separated them? Also, did they open the sac on their own?

I was sure my sac was dead. The mother died and I put the sac in a larger vial to incubate. It was too moist in there and the outside of the sac started to mold. Today I couldn't resist taking a peak. Well they were fine in there and some came rushing out.

How cannibalistic are these guys, can I leave them together to thin down the numbers?

Yeah, they opened up themselves. And they don't seem to be cannibalistic at all so far. I left most of them in the (I thought) escape-proofed tank hoping to let them get a little bigger before I could separate them. Well somehow, and I still haven't figured out how, a good 60 or so of them got out. One at a time I've get getting them off my living room ceiling. One of my roommates hates spiders and is absolutely freaking out right now. It's hilarious.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, they opened up themselves. And they don't seem to be cannibalistic at all so far. I left most of them in the (I thought) escape-proofed tank hoping to let them get a little bigger before I could separate them. Well somehow, and I still haven't figured out how, a good 60 or so of them got out. One at a time I've get getting them off my living room ceiling. One of my roommates hates spiders and is absolutely freaking out right now. It's hilarious.
looks like we got a sequel to the movie "ARACHNOPHOBIA"{D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What species of huntsman are you two dealing with?

I've heard FF's don't provide complete nutrition...so do try to get them some crickets. Order some pinheads, or breed some yourself(not too hard if you buy a few dozen adult crickets from your petstore...but it will take a few weeks to get them so in the meantime...)