Huntsman (Heteropoda) in Southern California?

sloth

Arachnoknight
Are there Huntsman in southern Ca? If so what habitat do they prefer and please feel free to pm me a general location/area where you found them. Thanks to everyone in advance

sloth

Arachnoknight
I’m looking to collect 1 or 2 but no more than that. Mainly just to observe their behaviors in comparison to Tarantulas and jumping spiders

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You'll likely only find Olios spp. in Southern California (I believe the other sparassid is Macrinus mohavensis but it's rarely seen). Check out iNaturalist.org and search for Olios/Sparassidae on the map. Should give you a good place to start looking.

sloth

Arachnoknight
You'll likely only find Olios spp. in Southern California (I believe the other sparassid is Macrinus mohavensis but it's rarely seen). Check out iNaturalist.org and search for Olios/Sparassidae on the map. Should give you a good place to start looking.
I’ll have to check out iNaturalist. Thanks for the help!!!
In California you can find both Olios and Curicaberis species. (Curicaberis spp. used to be considered part of Olios but were moved to the new genus in 2015 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26623867.)
I’ll have to look into Olive and Curicaberis sp. Have you found any? Thanks for the help

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I’ll have to look into Olive and Curicaberis sp. Have you found any? Thanks for the help

Yes, I've found them out in the Palm Springs/Joshua Tree area. They're more likely to be out in the open early in the morning, around dusk, and at night. I've actually had good luck spotting them under picnic shelters and similar semi-protected spots, up high near or on the ceiling.