Hunting for H. arizonensis

NickW

Arachnopeon
Hi, I live east of Phoenix, AZ about 5 minutes from the wide open desert.
I've seen them in my area before so I know they are around. Any tips on what they like to hide in or the best time to go out? I've heard this is the season to find them.

Thanks!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Buy some cheap black light flash lights. Go out after dark and shine your UV Lights. Road cuts in unpopulated and wild areas have always been the most productive for me. It is much easier to find them when they are out on the crawl and you can make them glow! I have spotted 1 inchers from 25 feet with a good light.

Last edited:

NickW

Arachnopeon
Oh yea! The walgreens stores always have them for $5-6. I've heard some things about how they wont come out if the moon is bright. So is it best to go when there is no moon or overcast?

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Good luck & Make sure you post up some photos of your finds! :)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Oh yea! The walgreens stores always have them for $5-6. I've heard some things about how they wont come out if the moon is bright. So is it best to go when there is no moon or overcast?
The only time I have been skunked in scorp territory is if it was really windy. I haven't seen the presence or absence of moon light effect the species I am in contact with in the NW.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I want to go hunting too. I am thinking that maybe making pitfall traps might work for scorpions.

NickW

Arachnopeon
Okay sweet! I'll try to go out tonight then. I don't think I'm gonna take any back with me for now because I dont have the setups for them, but I will try and get some good pictures. Would it be safe to collect dirt and wood near where I find them to use as my substrate?

NickW

Arachnopeon
I want to go hunting too. I am thinking that maybe making pitfall traps might work for scorpions.
I am gonna try out towards saguaro lake. I'll look up how to make some and give it a shot. I guess youd just have to return to the traps early the next morning so they dont end up baking in the sun.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
You'll find a lot of barks and stripe-tails at Saguaro Lake, too. I wouldn't bother w/traps. Flashlight, tongs, craft or fishing lure box w/multiple slots to keep them apart: that's all you need. ALSO, that's not loam out there...it's ROCK. Light + tongs = outfitted.

NickW

Arachnopeon
Awesome thank you! Still haven't gone out but maybe tonight I can make it out.

NickW

Arachnopeon
Any tips on collecting the substrate for their enclosure straight from the desert?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Yeah, take a pick-ax! :smug:

Seriously, though, I'm all about bioactive substrate, so that sounds like a good thought in theory. Just remember how heavy a tank full of various sands and gravels is going to be and remember that local plant duff also makes up our "topsoil" - meaning dried creosote leaves, paloverde twigs, jojoba, cholla wood, broom fluff, etc., in the top inch and access to rotting local wood for the beetles that eat or hide in it.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Also, with this sudden weather change, go early! It's too cold now for the best hunting once temperatures have a chance to drop. Heck, I've got my doors and windows open right now, and it's almost 2 pm! And if it remains this breezy into the evening, you might want to wait for warmer, stiller conditions in a few days.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Finally, Don't forget the OTHER residents. Wear a normal light on your forehead you can turn on and off easily to periodically make sure no rattlers are ALSO out hunting in your vicinity. They don't always warn you of their presence, and they hang out just under scrub foliage, just like scorps often do. The normal light also makes it possible to locate wandering beetles and avoid stepping in holes or tripping over rocks as you walk along.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Also, check out the events hosted by the Maricopa County Parks! I recently found out about these. They sometimes host night hikes with rangers. I've been planning on trying one in the future.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
Bring water, I don't care how close it is to your house, I live in Las Vegas so I get what it's like temp wise don't get heatstroke!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The only tip I can give you is bring your UV flashlight. They will light up like a Christmas Tree.