Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

hunt for florida b vagans

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by xgrafcorex, Jul 27, 2006.

1. xgrafcorex

xgrafcorex Thread Killer Old Timer

Advertisement
    with the help of christian, i recently emailed a taxonomic entomologist that studied the population of brachypelma vagans in central florida. i received very detail directions to their location, which happened to be about an hour and a half away from my house. i made a trip up there this last weekend, with nothing to show for it. the main bank of the canal bordering this old grove was at once a highly populated area, but is now very overgrown with plant life and very hard to search through. i wasn't able to locate any webbed burrows. i found a few suspicious looking holes and carefully poured some water down to hopefully flush out a tarantula, but nothing. i did manage to find a few small species of spiders, and a some random other bugs. i also found an adult corn or rat snake...unfortunately it was during the few minutes i had set my camera down in the car. i tried to come back with the camera, but the snake was gone. the one with the hole, is of a bunch of ants trying to take what looked like a beetle out of a burrow. i plan on emailing the entomologist with the results of the first trip, and to eventually return and look further. i was only there for a few hours..no findings, and it was on the verge or raining the whole time i was there....possibly even clear some of the vegetation that has since covered the canal banks. the initial reports of the vagans were about ten years ago, and the grounds were no longer used as citrus groves..and so everything has just been growing as is. anyway, here are a few pictures i took while there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sheri

Sheri Arachnoking

That sucks that you didn't find any. Will you try again soon?

I don't know how many times we go out looking for stuff and come home empty handed.

What amazes me, though, is that for two impatient people, optimism springs back almost instantly! {D

3. xgrafcorex

someday soon...its about an hour and a half drive (forgot if i put that in there) so i won't be going up there too often. but i plan on sending a couple more emails and trying to find out any more info i can and then return. maybe i'll bring a machete with me as well :D

4. a few things i'll add; hopefully this helps for the next time you head out there.

for the most part they've really only been found in the southeast corner of the grove only occupying less than an acre or so, the adult burrows will be about an inch-and-a-half to 2" across.

5. xgrafcorex

actually according to this article http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/s...drump.htm#dist they are in the southwest corner, which is where i looked. i went up the western side of the grove and looked at the eastern bank of the canal to the west (where i could actually see anything other than plants taller than me everywhere), and on part of the southern edge. maybe next time i'll get up there the weather will be better, and i could just bring my own lunch and check out the whole area. also someone on the ats boards recommended i contact rick west as he was involved in some of the research, or at least id-ing part.

6. Tony

Tony Arachno-pragmatarian Old Timer

Rick actually shot video there and found some nice adults. I think it was the special "The real spiderman", which was quickly arranged to coincide with the release of the Spiderman movie (I or II???)
    Shoot him an email,though he may not be forthcoming about locale. Then again this is an "Invasive species" so every little capture helps...
    T

7. kosh

kosh Arachnobaron Old Timer

Cool!....this is an interesting post as I remember seeing the TV special about the invasive species down in FL along that canal. The video I remember showed quite a few burrows. I am suprised their numbers aren't even greater now than they were back then.

8. xgrafcorex

there were attmepts in the past to completely eradicate them, but i was told they were most likely not 100% successful. i sure hope they weren't!! otherwise i'll be taking a few trips out to rural florida for nothing :rolleyes:

9. anderstd

anderstd Arachnoknight Old Timer

When you get back out there, I really hope you find a few and post plenty of pictures.

10. do keep us posted on ya next trip

this is very interesting

Now i was told those T's are being protected, and the same person told me that those T's were found on someones lane and those people will call the law on you cuz they don't want no one to collect them, the person toile me that lives in Mango Fl.

11. for some reasone the link to the article would not open for me,
    says cannot find server

sure would lovew to read it

12. Tony

Well private property is just that..Though I cannot imagine an invasive species being afforded ANY kind of Protection....
    T

13. insect714

insect714 Arachnoknight Old Timer

Well I do belive that all Brachys are listed under CITES which mean they are protected.

Insect

14. LPacker79

LPacker79 ArachnoSpaz Old Timer

CITES only covers international trade. Import/export over borders.

CITES link

15. If they are being protected by an owner of the property,maybe he likes tarantulas and just dont want people coming in and wiping them out.I was also told by someone that there are A.Avics down there also.But they are supposed to be more around the glades,whether its true or not I dont know.

16. Tony

Thanks Leanne!

17. LPacker79

LPacker79 ArachnoSpaz Old Timer

You're quite welcome m'dear. :)

18. never heard of the pink toe being in florida
    wouldn't surprize at all for Fl
    you never know what you may find there, epsecialy at the Ever Glades

• Like Like x 1
  19. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

oh yeah! that's very true,i live in florida and ya never know what can be crawling,swimming,slithering,flying right up to your door:eek: believe me. ive seen it all of the 19 years i have been living down here:p

20. David_F

David_F Arachnoprince Old Timer

Too bad you didn't find any vagans, Brian. Better luck next time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.